Following previous successful Conferences, the 2nd International Conference on Future Smart Cities & the 2nd International Conference Resilient and Responsible Architecture and Urbanism were both organized and held from 5 - 7 September 2019 in Sepang, Malaysia in collaboration with Xiamen university Malaysia. The Conferences included many discussions that covered extremely important topics and they were chaired by Professor Xiao Han, the Head of Information Communication Technology Department in Xiamen University Malaysia.
The Opening Ceremony Started with opening word from the conference Chairperson and a brief overview of the conference topics that will be discussed, following his Speech Professor Zhang Ying the Assistant President of Xiamen University Malaysia delivered a welcome speech and initiated the conference. The opening session was then wrapped up by a speech delivered by IEREK's Chief Executive Officer and founder, Dr. Mourad Amer.
The Plenary Session started with Conferences Keynote Speakers speeches:
Prof. Jonathan Li, Professor at the University of Waterloo, Canada. “HD Maps Navigating You in Smart Cities”
Prof. Matthew Fineout, Associate Professor at Crnegie Mellon University – Director of Smart Architecture, Pittsburgh. “Environmentally Sensitive Geometries“
Prof. Javier Aguirre Contrerars, Professor if the Department of the Environment, Autonomous Metropolitan University, Mexico. “Solarquim: Dual Electric Power Generation System for a Housing”
Prof. Yang Chenhui, Executive Dean, Yongtai Institute of Artificial Intelligence, Xiamen University China. “Active Learning Framework for Image Classification” and “Sensing and Computing of Smart City“
After a light lunch break, the final lecture/speech was delivered as a 3-hour workshop on “How to Successfully Prepare and Publish Your Paper” and presented by Dr.Nabil Khelifi, Senior Publishing Editor, MENA region, Springer, Germany.
By the end of the first day, and to provide our researchers with an opportunity to socialize and establish new connections and collaborations, keynote speakers and participants were invited to attend a Gala Dinner.
On the 2nd and 3rd day of the conference authors started presenting their researches while the session chairperson and moderators listened, discussed, and evaluated the sessions. The sessions were split into 6 sessions over a duration of the two days as follows:
Session 1: Smart Cities: The Development of Integrated Frameworks
Session Moderator: Dr. Lim Poh Im, Dr. Ahmad Affandi
Session 2: Smart Energy Adaptation and Resiliency Challenges
Session Moderator: Prof. Kamran Shavarebi, Dr. Andi Rossi
Session 3: Smarter Cities: Efficient and Sustainable Living
Session Moderator: Dr. Siti Aida Samikon, Dr. Heng Yu Ping
Session 4: Smart Mobility: Challenges & Solutions
Session Moderator: Prof. Mohd Fairuz Shahidan, Dr. Anis bin Haron
Session 5: A Computing Perspective: Global Trends & Strategic Approaches
Session Moderator: Prof. Rahinah binti Ibrahim, Dr. Ahmad Affandi
Session 6: Smart and Digital Applications
Session Moderator: Prof. Norsidah Binti Ujang, Dr. Raja Majid Mehmood
After wrapping up the conference sessions for the third day, a discussion panel was held in the closing Ceremony to discuss the final remarks presented by the session moderators and speakers which stimulated group discussions and open debates key to identifying the next steps and recommendations that would assist in a buildup on the existing research.
In an increasingly computerized world, challenges of sustainable urban development have been among topics of discussion over the years. With the demand to develop existing infrastructure, improve the quality of life, achieve energy efficiency & saving, comes the need to develop smart and sustainable cities.
This conferences brings together academic and industry experts, developers, company executives and stakeholders, scientists and engineers, to bridge the gap between research and industry and address key-issues hindering efficient & Sustainable living and development. Through the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs), other smart technologies and development strategies, we will be able to build smarter and sustainable cities for our citizens. The main goal of this conference is to facilitate an exchange of ideas and knowledge between experts and policy-makers in hopes of making a change.
IEREK, in collaboration with Xiamen University Malaysia, is organizing the 2nd international conference on 'Future Smart Cities' to tackle one of the biggest trends today that have been rapidly gaining momentum, this conference will
Explore the breadth that is the field of Future Smart Cities.
Showcase emerging scientific and technological trends and innovations in the field.
Identify current research challenges, key-issues, debates and future opportunities.
Pin-point and provide direction for future planning practices.
The topics to be discussed when talking about a “Smart City” are numerous starting from the development of cities, transportation, sustainability and computing techniques to the anticipated impact of such major changes on the environment. This conference is calling upon researchers, academics, and students from around the world, with their innovative ideas and thoughts to join in on our journey.
Selected papers from this conference will be considered for publication in the ASTI book series published by Springer or in a Special Issue in the journal “Smart and Sustainable Built Environment”, published by Emerald Publishing. The journal is indexed in Scopus, which is a partner of Clarivate Analytics. Others will be published in the ARChive journal by IEREK Press.
IEREK and it's scientific committee of the Future Smart Cities invites research papers on all cross-cutting themes of Technoogy and Engineering, with a main focus on the following conference topics and sub-topics:
1. The Development Of Cities
-Sustainable cities and Smart Energy Technology. -Smart Economy for a sustainable development. -Urban Framework for a smart city. -Smart Healthcare, & Emergency management. -Smart developments of cultural tourism and heritage sites. -Innovation in Art and creativity in the intelligent city, -Case studies of sustainable planning for Smart cities
2. Transportation In Cities
-Smart traffic analysis & management -Smart city mobility solutions. - Innovation in ICT on transportation and logistics services - Pedestrians & Cyclists, safety. - Smart Vehicles and new trends in manufacturing. - Logistics in trading, Manufacturing & implementation. - Autonomous intelligent transportation systems. - Supply chains and Smart Grid.
3. Smart Building
-Home automation system and smart devices. -Smart communication and services. -Green building design and green cities planning. -Intelligent building management system -Smart home software. -Transformation case studies to smart cities -Smart constructer and innovation -Other topics of smart buildings.
4. Sustainability In Cities
-Sustainability of natural resources. -Sustainable Economy and transformation. -Sustainable Design and infrastructure integration. -New concepts and innovation in urban regeneration -Sustainable Utilities. -Real case studies
5. Computing For Future Cities
- Technology in a sustainable transformation. - Internet of Things & Big Data Analysis in Smart Cities. - ICT of education. - The role of computers and innovation in communication technology. - Awareness for smart cities and its deliverance.
Abstract Submissions Deadline
30 Jun 2019
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
14 Jul 2019
Full Paper Submission Deadline
15 Aug 2019
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
15 Sep 2019
Early Payment Deadline
31 Aug 2019
Regular Payment Deadline
30 Sep 2019
Late Payment Deadline
25 Oct 2019
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
30 Sep 2019
Letter of Final Acceptance
04 Oct 2019
04 Oct 2019
04 Nov 2019
Xiamen University, Sepang, Malaysia
- Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
- Each co-author (1-5 max) has his/her own separate fees to pay as shown in a table below.
- A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference proceedings book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Loyalty Membership Discounts
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants with the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
*The aforementioned discounts are only applicable during Regular and Late Payment times. For more information, please refer to 'Important Dates'.
Author Fees (for Short Paper)
Author fees for Early Payment
01 Sep 2019
Author fees for Regular Payment
01 Oct 2019
Author fees for Late Payment
26 Oct 2019
Author Fees (for Long Paper)
Author fees for Early Payment
01 Sep 2019
Author fees for Regular Payment
01 Oct 2019
Author fees for Late Payment
26 Oct 2019
Regular Attendance Fees
Fees for Audiences (Co-authors & Audience Members)
Fees for NON-Attending Co-Authors
Extra Fees (upon request)
Additional Conference Book (Hard copy + CD)
*In addition to 1 free copy gifted to main authors during the event.
Springer/Journal Publication (Extended Paper)
*In cases of selection/consideration for publication, short papers must be extended and the additional payment, for extension, completed.
Please note that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa if needed, by sending an invitation letter, but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
- Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances for any reason will receive refunds according to the following plan and according to the number of days from the start of the event:
Up to 60 days before the event
Up to 50 days before the event
Up to 40 days before the event
39 days before the event
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- All matters have been finalized (accommodation/travel expenses paid for)
Visa Rejection Cases
Reason and proof of rejection must be submitted. If the reason for rejection is due to an error on our part, the participant will be refunded their full fee with a deduction of a 20% administration fee.
Documents to be issued by IEREK to acquire a visa are as follows:
* Final Acceptance Letter (Authors only)
* Visa Invitation Letter
* Invoice/proof of payment
We encourage all authors and attendees to ensure their having acquired all documents (those applicable) mentioned.
If the reason for rejection is not related to any of the aforementioned and is an error on the participant’s part, the following will apply:
* Authors: may choose to let their co-author present his/her research on his/her behalf free of charge. If the author does not have a co-author, a member of the scientific committee shall present on the author’s behalf.
* Audience members/Registrants: will only be allowed to attend another similar event of their choosing that is organized by IEREK free of charge.
All accepted papers of the second Future Smart Cities (2nd FSC) after the peer-review process will get a chance to be published as chapters in the Book Series “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer or in The International Journal of Academic Research Community Publication (Resourceedings) online by IEREK Press.
To publish your research in the online Journal or Book by 'Springer' and provide it with world-wide visibility, authors must submit an extended version of their short papers that are 10 -12 pages long.
The ASTI Book Series by Springer is by highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure a high-quality publication material to be eventually published online and printable.
The ASTI Book Series will be submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI), EI-Compendex, and Scopus databases.
If you are not sure whether you or one of your co-authors will be able to attend the conference, you should bear in mind that there is a fee to be paid for Audiences (Co-authors, Learners, and Interests). The accepted paper will not be included in the conference proceedings without paying the fee (see Conference Fees for more details). A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference proceedings book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.Note that only authors of accepted papers who will register before the deadline of 16 August 2019 will be allowed to present during the conference sessions (see Important Dates and Conference Fees).
The proceedings of the Future Smart Cities (2nd FSC) will consist of 5 sections (or Parts), each edited by the following group of Chief Editors:
Prof. Anna Laura Pisallo
Assistant professor of Applied Physics at University of Perugia, Italy Ph.D. in Energy Engineering
Prof. Dinko Vukadinovic
Full Professor, University of Split, Faculty of Electrical Engineering Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, Split, Croatia
Prof. Denia Kolokotsa
Emeritus professor at Cardiff University, UK and an emeritus fellow of Darwin College, University of Cambridge, UK. - Assistant Professor Department of the Environmental Engineering Technical University
Prof. Norsidah Ujang
Associate Professor at the Department of Landscape Architecture, Universiti Putra Malaysia
Prof. Rahinah Ibrahim
Senior Professor of Architecture and former Dean of Faculty of Design and Architecture, University Putra Malaysia
Prof. Valeria Scavone
Department of Architecture DARCH, Università degli Studi di Palermo
Once an abstract is submitted, it will be sent to the reviewers' committee to go through the revision process:
Once an abstract has been submitted to our website, it is assigned for review by the reviewers using the abstract review sheet and validation of publication. This is based on four criteria:
1. Accepted for publication (with minor editing changes).
2. Conditionally accepted for publication (with revisions provided to authors).
3. Rejected but encouraged for re-submission with major modifications.
4. Rejected as inappropriate or unworthy of publication in this certain conference.
The criteria for accepting abstracts for the conference are as follows; a relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented, as well as a sound literature and methodology of the work.
Authors will receive a notification message to know the feedback of the reviewers' committee. If an author receives the acceptance of his or her abstract, he or she has to continue writing the full-length paper using the requested templates.
Uploading Full-Length Paper:
Authors who are allowed to upload their full-length paper(s) should use the same account details to upload their full paper(s).
The final paper will proceed to the primary revision to be checked if it meets the conference proceedings standards. Once it gets accepted, the author of the paper will be informed to pay the fees so that it could be sent for the final revision by the scientific committee.
In this step, and to proceed paper(s) that passed to the final revision process and to get the final approval, authors have to pay the requested fees. Otherwise, the final revision process will not be considered for their papers.
Inspections and Final Approval of Full Papers:
Those with full papers and who have paid the requested fees will get finally inspected, either scientifically or linguistically. There will be a rigorous review process of full papers following the previous process according to the following criteria:
(1) Is the topic relevant to the conference?
(2) Are the writing and structure clear?
(3) Are graphics, photos, illustrations used where needed?
(4) Are the aims of the study clearly stated?
(5) Are the objectives of the study achieved?
(6) Is the literature review relevant and adequate?
(7) Has the author used an appropriate methodology and has it been clearly explained?
(8) Has the author interpreted the findings correctly?
(9) Is the paper a significant contribution to the field?
These are the registration and revision procedures for publication that all authors should follow.
Instructions of Short Paper Submissions: Authors whom like to submit short papers should be informed that the structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online. A short paper fee doesn’t have a chance to receive any type of discount whatever the authors was previously published with IEREK or the author is one of IEREK’s scientific committee and or a representative of a co- host university. A short paper is only published in the conference proceedings book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full length paper and pay the requested fee.
To download the writing template for a Short paper, Click here
- Abstracts should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- After you have received the acceptance of your abstract, please continue to write your full paper with the requested template (please download from the link provided below).
Final acceptance will be based on the full-length paper. For publication, the accepted papers must be presented at the conference.
- Writing Templates: Authors are strongly encouraged to use the formatting style described below for submitting an abstract as this format is required for the full paper.
- English will be the official language of the conference " Future Smart Cities (FSC) - 2nd Edition "
To download the writing template for a full-length paper, Click hereAbstract and full paper submission instructions, Click here
English Editing Service
- IEREK provides you the English Review service; where we will be responsible for the language review process of your paper. This service will get your paper revised in terms of grammar, punctuation, and language structure; without changing the scientific content.
- This service will ensure you have the perfect language structure, to get your perfect paper published. This will help you increase the number of citations and make it easier for others access the information provided in your paper.
Fees for the editing process:
Papers 4-5 pages long
Papers 8-12 pages long
If you are interested in getting this service, please email us your paper on: [email protected]
- IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit is fraudulent.
- The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
- Duplicating any content, even if it is one sentence or one table without the consent of its original Author, will lead to the paper’s refusal upon the complaint of the plagiarism victim.
Benefits Of Attending
Since conferences are the places where new science results are typically first presented so, it helps you sharpen the saw, meet experts & influencers face to face, learning in a new space, build your Knowledge base, expand your resources and grow your professional network. Yet attending conferences organized by IEREK will not only helps you gain previous benefits but also can be very rewarding on the professional level due to below reasons:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists to exchange and share their experiences and research results on all aspects of Smart Cities Development. Furthermore, you get to converse with other researchers from different universities and countries. You learn from experts in the field. It is a great opportunity to find more about your field and listen to ideas that could help inspire research ideas of your own.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The Participants are granted internationally recognized certificates which will be added to their certificates of experience or could be presented to the official authorities concerned.
3. Publication: The conference proceedings will be published by one or more journals since Authors can choose to publish their research paper either in ARChive International Journal of Science hosted by IEREK Press or SSRN by ELSEVIER. Besides, High-quality manuscripts based on scientific committee evaluation will be published either in Environmental Sciences & Sustainable Development (ESSD) by IEREK Press or a book series by Springer.
4. Research Technologies: Conferences also can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research. Moreover, they let you test them out, share teaching tools and techniques, or even obtain samples of textbooks.
5. Networking: Conferences help in networking which often increases your chances of collaboration in future projects. As you can engage with respectable professors and discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles, not to mention the benefits for your C.V as it will create an impression that you are an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Proceedings Material: Delegates will have the choice of receiving the conference proceedings as either a hardcover book or in digital format on a CD. The CD will additionally contain proceedings from previous conferences in this series.
8. Venue: Getting an overview of the place or city where the conference is being held and learning about its people and culture.
Moreover, all conference papers are archived online in the E-Library of IEREK‘s website where they are immediately and permanently available to the international scientific community.
- For participants who need Entry Visas, IEREK will issue a visa letter for applicants who are accepted to present at our conferences.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
*The Conference Final Program has been announced, to download
Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation Book Series IEREK Series for Interdisciplinary Studies
- On 10 May 1842 (his 25th birthday), Julius Springer founded his bookstore and publishing house in Berlin, laying the foundation for today’s company.
- After 175 dynamic years, the name Springer stands for a globally active publisher dedicated to the advancement of science, putting its authors and editors at the heart of the company’s publishing activities.
- Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services.
- Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals.
- Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world.
- As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
About the Series:
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on the best studies on emerging research that redefines existing disciplinary boundaries in science, technology, and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. The series is mainly based on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences or direct submissions and is intended to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Offering interdisciplinary coverage, the series presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both the economic and sustainable development for the welfare of all societies. In particular, the series includes conceptual and empirical contributions from different interrelated fields of science, technology, and innovation that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water, and energy security. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues. The series is addressed to professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with Springer, the IEREK Interdisciplinary Series for Sustainable Development will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Publishing your paper with a reputable and renowned publisher is necessary to maintain the high quality standards of the scientific process along with retaining your copyright. It is even more advantageous to increase the exposure of your paper to the rest of the scientific community either online, offline, or in both versions.
All of the papers present in the book either belong to the best research papers in IEREK’s conferences or the authors’ direct submissions.Fees for direct submission: - The revision process: 200$ (nonrefundable)- Once the paper is accepted and approved: 200$.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
Your Trip To Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur is the capital city of Malaysia, boasting gleaming skyscrapers, colonial architecture, charming locals, and a myriad of natural attractions.
The following are some suggestions of places to visit while you are in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
1. Petronas Twin Towers
Situated in the heart of the city where large corporate organizations conduct their businesses, the Petronas Twin Towers are known locally as Rocket Twin Towers and Jagung Kembar (meaning Twin Corns). The towers stand at 88 storeys high and have made big impressions on the city's skyline since their existence about two decades ago. The two towers are connected by a double storey Skybridge on the 41st and 42nd floors.
2. Suria KLCC
The Suria KLCC Shopping Complex lies at the feet of the Petronas Towers. (KLCC stands for Kuala Lumpur City Centre). It is one of the largest shopping malls in Malaysia, with many luxury shops, boutiques and food courts. The attractions in this six-storey complex include the Petronas Philharmonic Hall, Petrosains Science Discovery Centre, Petronas Art Gallery and the Aquaria Oceanarium.
3. Central Market
The Central Market building was built in 1888 and started off as a wet market. It has been renovated and is now a heritage site and landmark in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Kasturi Walk is the lane next to Central Market, this place is also known as Chinatown. There are many stalls in the area selling a variety of handicrafts, artworks, clothings, shoes, accessories, Malaysian batiks, souvenirs and food stalls.
4. Thean Hou Temple
This impressive Buddhist and Toaist temple was built by the Hainanese community in Malaysia and opened in 1989. The temple is dedicated to the Goddess Tian Hou (Queen of Heaven). The design of the temple has a combination of modern and traditional styles with multi-levelled of function halls.
5. Royal Selangor Visitor Centre
Royal Selangor is the world's largest maker of pewter. Visitors and collectors of pewter can find precious pewter items, gifts, drinkwares, tablewares, ornaments and souvenirs at Royal Selangor which is renowned for its exquisite craftsmanship and designs in pewter. The School of Hard Knocks workshop at the centre teaches visitors to make their own souvenir plate using traditional tools.
As IEREK always provides the best services and scientific content for its registrants and members, we would like to announce a three-hour workshop on “How to successfully prepare and publish your paper” by Dr. Nabil Khelifi as a part of IEREK’s upcoming conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 5th November to 7th November 2019; Future Smart Cities (FSC) - 2nd Edition.
This workshop will be a great opportunity for all researchers to know about:
How to structure your manuscript.
How to logically link your thought throughout the manuscript.
How to use the “effective writing” style.
How to select the appropriate journal.
How to prepare a cover letter to the editor.
How to answer the reviewers’ comments.
How to promote your paper after publication.
Dr. Nabil Khélifi is the Senior Publishing Editor for Springer, part of Springer Nature in Heidelberg, Germany who is managing their program in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
Dr. Nabil Khelifi holds a PhD degree in Marine Geosciences from Kiel University in Germany. In hopes of improving publication output and quality, Dr. Khelifi helps researcher throughout the process of publishing their work by delivering educational seminars. To find out more, watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LILL2gpVBm0
To attend Dr. Nabil Khelifi’s workshop, register in this conference.
Presentation & Ppt Template
For the purpose of oral presentation, Authors should use the PowerPoint template that can be downloaded from the link below. Moreover, please take into consideration that the presentation should not exceed 15 minutes, which is the time assigned for each research presentation.