Discussing the importance of Sustainable Development by providing solutions towards zero-waste cities, the Green Urbanism conference, for the second time, has successfully established a platform for stakeholders, architects, designers, urban and transport planners, economists and more to contribute to benefiting the environment through topics of:
Passive Design in Buildings
Natural Resources & Waste Management
Infrastructure and Mobility
Governance and Education for Sustainable Cities
Attending from differents parts of the globe, the second version of the Green Urbanism conference titled “Periphery as a Catalyst for Energy and skills” has received the interest and been enriched with the attendance of Authors, Coauthors and Audience members from diverse countries such as Germany, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, China, India, Syria, Algeria, Egypt, Italy and more. A great way to meet new people in the field, gain more knowledge on latest trends and involve oneself in future research and projects.
The GU conference was held in the Department of Architecture im Roma Tre Universita Degli Studi in Rome over a period of two days, from the 5th of December to the 6th. 2018.
The opening session of the conference was initiated by introductory speeches from the chairperson, Prof. Ferdinando Trapani (University of Palermo), Prof. Fabio Naselli (Epoka University of Tirana), Prof. Chaham Alalouch (Sultan Qaboos University). This session was concluded with a key speech delivered by the CEO of IEREK, Dr. Mourad Amer, and a presentation by IEREK’s General Director, Dr. Abdelaziz Sakr. The conference was finally and officially started by an eloquent keynote speech delivered by Professor Chaham Alalouch.
Sessions were professionally moderated by Professors:
Lucia Nucci, Roma Tre University.
Chaham Alalouch, Sultan Qaboos University
Fabio Naselli, Epoka University of Tirana.
Domenica Bona, Roma Tre University.
Elena Gigliarelly, Institute of Technology Applied to Cultural Heritage.
Wael Youssef, Al Azhar University.
Filippo Calcerano, Institute of Technology Applied to Cultural Heritage.
Antonio Polimeni, University of Rome Tor Vergata.
Chiara Ravagnan, University of Sapienza.
Sessions led by the list of reputable professors above were categorized according to the relevant research. Several themes were discussed as follows:
“I think that the topics and the issues discussed in the presentation were very focused on the benefits of the ‘Green Urbanism’ approach. I want to stress that the usefulness of this topic/conference lies in the hands of researchers and scholars in their arguments of issues faced in the development of, both, cities and the countryside during this century, This is key to avoiding big problems; environmental problems.”
-Prof. Fabio Naselli
“We should try and understand Experiences of Sustainability in other countries and the history behind them. Each has its own standards of sustainability and each can be evolve and improve. Thus, they cannot be taken and/or applied in every context. We must be brave enough to take the challenge of evolving them and going beyond.”
- Filippo Calcerano, Institute of Technology Applied to Cultural Heritage.
“I want to thank those who have contributed with research to the sessions. Talking about different levels of research, Authors focused on all perspectives focused on human beings in different contexts. They all put man as the center of the discussion and showed honest concern of issues in the existing built environment”.
“We had a successful, smooth and useful conference. I encourage you all to make use of this research as they have useful information in them”
-Prof. Chaham Alalouch, Sultan Qaboos University.
“The contribution was very interesting for the debate on GU. […] Some even took Sectorial Approaches to overcoming issues of Structure, Urban Planning and Landscape and coming up with an integrative approach.”
-Prof. ChiaraRavagnan, University of Sapienza.
“The presentations and papers were interesting. I really believe that we have to give more value to design. We have not to follow mere economic and market tracks. With design we can find the way to make our cities greener and healthier.”
-Maria Livia Olivetti, Roma Tre University.
“Despite the number of attendees not being very high, the conference is concise, professional and well-managed. We got a lot of scientific added value from different researches we saw.”
-Deborah Middleton [Author & College of Architecture and Design, Effat University
The second version of the Green Urbanism Conference discusses the importance of green urbanism and sustainable development. This conference will be aimed to provide solutions towards zero waste cities. It will be an attempt to create a more sustainable place, using fewer resources. By putting together the term “green” and the study of “urbanism” and despite its promise of a sustainable, energy-efficient and developed world, we are still faced with deep challenges.
Cities must become the most environmentally-friendly model for inhabiting our earth. It is more important than ever to re-conceptualize existing cities and their systems of infrastructure, to become compact, mixed-use and polycentric cities. Therefore, green urbanism combines the work of engineers, urban planners, economists, transport planners, architects. Hoping for improving the relationship between humans and their environment by focusing on the city.
IEREK organizes this conference to deal with cross-cut issues in architecture and urban design and addresses the question of the ways we can best and cohesively integrate all the aspects of energy systems, transportation systems, waste and water management and passive and active strategies into contemporary urban design and improved environmental performance of our cities.
The significance of this conference lies in the pressing need for the integration of sustainability principles in the urban design process of cities and the general need for sustainable development. It will be of particular relevance to the rapid urban growth of developing cities. The conference also provides a context for a general debate about the regeneration of the periphery, peri-urban fringes (and city center) as a catalyst for energy and skills, and discusses how green urbanism is affected by the paradigms of ecology.
Partnership with, the Roma TRE Universita Degli Studi. Certification by university, alongside IEREK's, will be offered to our authors by the end of the conference.
"Parallel sessions will be divided by 4 macro-themes, organized in line with skills and sectors of the different sub-topics:
Theme 1 - Governance and education for sustainable cities
Theme 2 - Resources and waste management at the neighborhood scale
Theme 3 - Sustainable infrastructure and mobility
Theme 4 - Energy efficiency and passive design in buildings
Conference topics :
1. City urban form and natural resources
2. Urbanization of rural area: energy, water and food security
3. Water, local food and short supply chains
4. Strengthening the connection between city and gateways
5. Green infrastructures and social services
6. Creative Environments: Sustainable Places of Living, Working and Recreation
7. Green Infrastructures and Social Services
8. Green Buildings: Designing Buildings with Nature and with Technologies
9. Energy-efficiency in the Built Environment
10. Waste Management, Pollution and Health Risks
11. Climate Responsive Architecture: Solar Architecture and Renewable Energies
12. Green Buildings and districts in passive designs: Daylight in Buildings and Nature Ventilation
13. Innovative and Eco-friendly Materials for the Building Envelope
14. Strategies for new cities proposals in developing countries
15. Towards Zero-waste city
16. Landscape, gardens, streetscapes and urban biodiversity
17. Formulating the Principles of Green Urbanism
18. Urban governance, leadership and best practice in education, research and knowledge
19. Regeneration of the city center
20. Sustainable Urban Transport Strategies
21. Sustainable public transportation and mobility systems
22. Urban Growth of developing cities
23. Sustainable Surroundings
Abstract Submissions Deadline
01 Aug 2018
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
15 Aug 2018
Full Paper Submission Deadline
05 Sep 2018
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
05 Oct 2018
Early Payment Deadline
05 Sep 2018
Regular Payment Deadline
05 Oct 2018
Late Payment Deadline
05 Nov 2018
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
05 Oct 2018
Letter of Final Acceptance
05 Oct 2018
05 Nov 2018
05 Dec 2018
Roma Tre University, Rome, Italy
Architecture Department, Argiletum – Via della Madonna dei Monti, 40, 00184 Roma RM
Nearest METRO (subway) stations: CAVOUR (Line B or B1) and/or COLOSSEO (Line B or B1), both well connected to "Termini" train station.
the weather will be quite COLD at that time, maybe rainy, between 5 and 14 celsius degrees.
we suggest to bring a jacket and warm clothes in the suitcase.
These are the suggested hotels that you can use for accommodation during the period of the conference. You can reserve your place by contacting the hotel or through their website or any booking website.
- Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
- Each co-author (1-5 max) has his/her own separate fees to pay as shown in a table below.
- A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference proceedings book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Loyalty Membership Discounts
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants with the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
*The aforementioned discounts are only applicable during Regular and Late Payment times. For more information, please refer to 'Important Dates'.
Author Fees (Short Paper)
Author fees for Early Payment | 5th September 2018
Author fees for Regular Payment | 5th October 2018
Author fees for Late Payment | 5th November 2018
Author Fees (Long Paper)
Author fees for Early Payment | 5th September 2018
Author fees for Regular Payment | 5th October 2018
Author fees for Late Payment | 5th November 2018
Regular Attendance Fees
Fees for Audiences (Co-authors, Learners, and Interests)
Fees for NON-Attending Co-Authors
Extra Fees (upon request)
Additional Conference Book (Hard copy + CD)
* In addition to 1 free copy gifted to main authors, additional copies are available for the fee mentioned.
Springer/Journal Publication (Extended Paper)
* Authors who have submitted a short paper may extend their papers for the fee mentioned.
Please note that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa if needed, by sending an invitation letter, but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
- Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances for any reason will receive refunds according to the following plan and according to the number of days from the start of the event:
Up to 60 days before the event
Up to 50 days before the event
Up to 40 days before the event
39 days before the event
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- All matters have been finalized (accommodation/travel expenses paid for)
Visa Rejection Cases
Reason and proof of rejection must be submitted. If the reason of rejection is due to an error on our part, the participant will be refunded their full fee with a deduction of a 20% administration fee.
Documents to be issued by IEREK to acquire a visa are as follows:
* Final Acceptance Letter (Authors only)
* Visa Invitation Letter
* Invoice/proof of payment
We encourage all authors and attendees to ensure their having acquired all documents (those applicable) mentioned.
If the reason of rejection is not related to any of the aforementioned and is an error on the participant’s part, the following will apply:
* Authors: may choose to let their co-author present his/her research on his/her behalf free of charge. If the author does not have a co-author, a member of the scientific committee shall present on the author’s behalf.
* Audience members/Registrants: will only be allowed to attend another similar event of their choosing that is organized by IEREK free of charge.
- Publication in IEREK Press:- Authors will be given the chances to publish in 'Resourceedings'.
- Selected Manuscripts:- A book Series by 'Springer'. Publication in the 'Springer' Book Series will only be applicable to the selected papers that will be supervised by highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure a high-quality publication material
- To publish your research in an online Journal or Book by 'Springer' and provide it with world-wide visibility, authors must submit an extended version of their short papers that are 10 -12 pages long.
* Full length papers selected for publication in ASTI book series are subject to submission into a rigorous revision process by a scientific committee of experts before notice of acceptance/rejection for publication.
* Thus, such outstanding material will lead to the indexing of the series in well-known indexing databases such as 'Scopus' and 'Thomson Reuters'.
Once an abstract has been submitted to our website, it is assigned for review by the reviewers using the abstract review sheet and validation of publication. This is based on four criteria:
1· Accepted (with minor editing changes).
2· Conditionally accepted (with revisions provided to authors).
3· Rejected but encouraged for re-submission with major modifications.
4· Rejected as inappropriate or unworthy of presentation in this certain conference.
- The criteria for accepting abstracts for the conference are as follows; a relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented as well as a sound literature and methodology of work.
Acceptance for your paper:
After receiving an acceptance for your abstract and after the submission of your research (short paper version), the paper will enter a process for plagiarism check to ensure that the content is original.
( Extended Papers )
After the conference, authors interested in publishing their manuscripts will be required to submit an extended version of their research papers (10-12 pages long) and they will be subject to a rigorous revision process as follows:
Uploading Full-Length Paper:
Authors who are allowed to upload their full-length paper(s) should use the same account details to upload their full paper(s).
The final paper will proceed to the primary revision to be checked if it meets the conference proceedings standards. Once it gets accepted, the author will be informed to pay the fees so that it could be sent for the final revision by the scientific committee.
In this step, and to proceed paper(s) that passed to final revision process and to get the final approval, authors have to pay the requested fees. Otherwise, the final revision process will not be considered for their papers.
Inspections and Final Approval of Full Papers:
The full papers that paid the requested fees will get finally inspected, either scientifically or linguistically. There will be a rigorous review process of full papers following the previous process according to the following criteria:
(1) Is the topic relevant to the conference?
(2) Are the writing and structure clear?
(3) Are graphics, photos, illustrations used where needed?
(4) Are the aims of the study clearly stated?
(5) Are the objectives of the study achieved?
(6) Is the literature review relevant and adequate?
(7) Has the author used the appropriate methodology and explained them clearly?
(8) Has the author interpreted the findings correctly?
(9) Is the paper a significant contribution to the field?
These are the registration and revision procedures for publication that all authors should follow.
To download the writing template for a Short paper,
- IEREK provides you the English Review service; where we will be responsible for the language review process of your paper. This service will get your paper revised in terms of grammar, punctuation, and language structure; without changing the scientific content.
- This service will ensure you have the perfect language structure, to get your perfect paper published. This will help you increase the number of citations and make it easier for others access the information provided in your paper.
Fees for the editing process:
Papers 4-5 pages long
Papers 8-12 pages long
If you are interested in getting this service, please email us your paper on: email@example.com
- IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit is fraudulent.
- The reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
- Duplicating any content, even if it is one sentence or one table without the consent of its original Author, will lead to the paper’s refusal upon the complaint of the plagiarism victim.
Benefits Of Attending
Since conferences are the places where new science results are typically first presented so, it helps you sharpen the saw, meet experts & influencers face to face, learning in a new space, build your knowledge base, expand your resources and grow your professional network. Yet attending conferences organized by IEREK will not only helps you gain previous benefits but also can be very rewarding on the professional level due to below reasons:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists to exchange and share their experiences and research results on all aspects of smart cities development. Furthermore, you get to converse with other researchers from different universities and countries. You learn from experts in the field. It is a great opportunity to find more about your field and listen to ideas that could help inspire research ideas of your own.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates which will be added to their certificates of experience or could be presented to the official authorities concerned.
3. Publication: The conference proceedings will be published by one or more journals since authors can choose to publish their research paper either in "Resourceedings" international journal of science hosted by IEREK Press or "SSRN" by "ELSEVIER". Besides, high-quality manuscripts based on scientific committee evaluation will be published either in Environmental Sciences & Sustainable Development (ESSD) by IEREK Press or a book series by "Springer".
4. Research Technologies: Conferences also can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research. Moreover, they let you test them out, share teaching tools and techniques, or even obtain samples of textbooks.
5. Networking: Conferences help in networking which often increases your chances of collaboration in future projects. As you can engage with respectable professors and discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles, not to mention the benefits for your C.V as it will create an impression that you are an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Proceedings Material: Delegates will have the choice of receiving the conference proceedings as either a hardcover book or in digital format on a CD. The CD will additionally contain proceedings from previous conferences in this series.
8. Venue: Getting an overview of the place or city where the conference is being held and learning about its people and culture.
Moreover, all conference papers are archived online in the E-Library of IEREK‘s website where they are immediately and permanently available to the international scientific community.
- For participants who need entry visas, IEREK will issue a visa letter for applicants who are accepted to present at our conferences.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate embassy.
The Conference final Program has been announced, to download
Department of Architecture and Regional Planning, Indian Ins..