Professor at the Urban Planning Department of Architecture, Polytechnic School University of Palermo, Italy.
(+2) 02 33037810 | (+2) 03 5763828
Green Urbanism is known as the process of designing new cities or developing already-existing ones to preserve resources, benefit humans, and reduce negative environmental impacts. Due to the increasing threats of global warming, gas emissions, and the diminishing of future energy resources, and as a result of the rapid increase in population, the world has decided to establish eco-friendly cities.
The concept of Green Urbanism connects sustainable development techniques with urban planning to preserve future resources. By the integration of world organizations, researchers, urbanists, architects, and engineers, we can ensure the ability of the available resources to serve the increasing population, outlive the current environmental crisis, and establish eco-friendly urban cities.
Moreover, the world should pay more attention to the already-existing communities and try to maintain and preserve their identities through sustainable development plans. These communities should focus more on developing their cultural components and connecting their history with contemporary energy-production techniques.
As per this, many world organizations have taken into their responsibility to spread the awareness of creating sustainable communities. IEREK, an old advocate of sustainable architecture and planning, has organized the 6th edition of its International Conference on "Green Urbanism" following the success of its previous five editions. The conference's goal is to help researchers and urbanists to integrate and share their experiences. Also, the Conference allows them to uncover the best sustainable solutions to integrate urbanism with the environment.
During the conference, several questions and problems will be addressed like how to balance urban development and environmental impacts. The Conference also tries to face the challenges of creating sustainable green communities by focusing on new techniques to organize the use of energy and natural resources.
Following the success of the previous editions of "Green Urbanism," the 6th edition of the conference will be an opportunity to benefit from and exchange knowledge with experts in this field.
Selected papers of the conference will be published in a book series entitled Advances in Science, Technology, & Innovation (ASTI) by Springer. Other papers will be published by IEREK Press.
1.1 The Evolution of Green Urbanism
1.2 Formulating the Principles of Green Urbanism
1.3. Urban Design for Nature, Conservation of Natural Resources
1.4 Passive Designs: Green Buildings for Sustainable Use
1.5 Green Districts: Bike, Cycles, and Pedestrians’ Corridors
1.6 The Sense of Identity in Green Urban Cities
2.1 Urban Growth of Developing Cities
2.2 City Urban Form and Natural Resources
2.3 Landscape, Gardens, Streetscapes, and Urban Biodiversity
2.4 Urbanization of Rural Area: Energy, Water, and Food Security
2.5 Urban Governance, Leadership, Best Practices, Research, and Awareness
2.6 Green Buildings: Technologically Advanced and Environmentally Friendly
3.1 Green Infrastructure and Social Services
3.2 Sustainable Freight Transport and Supply Chains
3.3 Strategies of Urban Sustainable Public Transport
3.4 Urban Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Sustainable Networks
3.5. Innovation and Advancing in Urban Design
3.6 Climate Responsive Architecture: Solar Architecture and
4.1 Regeneration of the City Centre and Urban Transit Hubs
4.2 Waste Management, Pollution, and Health Risks
4.3 Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment
4.4 Effects of Sustainable Environments on Human Health
4.5 Advancing Solutions towards Zero Waste Cities
4.6 Zero-emission and zero-waste urban city design
5.1. Green Initiatives for Sustainable Development
5.2. Innovations and Technologies towards Built Environment
5.3. Creative Environments: Sustainable Places of Living, Working, and Recreation
5.4. Urban Ventilation: Confrontation of Heat Island Effect
5.5 International Case Studies: Strategies for New Cities' Proposals in Developing Countries
5.6 Sustainably Green Reconstruction and Preservation of Old Cities
All accepted papers of the Green Urbanism (6th GU) after the peer-review process will be either published as chapters in the Book Series “Advances in Science, Technology, and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer or in one of IEREK Press' International Journals.
The ASTI Book Series by Springer is by highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure a high-quality publication material to be eventually published online and printable.
The ASTI Book Series is indexed Scopus and will be submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI) and EI-Compendex databases.
To publish your research in the online Journal or Book by 'Springer' and provide it with world-wide visibility, authors must submit an extended version of their short papers that are 8 -12 pages long.
If you are not sure whether you or one of your co-authors will be able to attend the conference, you should bear in mind that there is a fee to be paid for Audiences (Co-authors, Learners, and Interests). The accepted paper will not be included in the conference proceedings without paying the fee (see Conference Fees for more details). A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference abstract book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Publishing in ASTI by Springer (Scopus indexed)
After the conference, the submitted manuscripts of authors interested in publishing in the ASTI book series will undergo a rigorous peer-review process resulting in a final decision made by the editors. Only accepted research will be published as a chapter in the Book Series entitled “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer. The ASTI Book Series is by managed highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure high-quality material for online publication.
The ASTI Book Series is fully indexed in Scopus. Some titles have been successfully indexed or submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI).
About the ASTI series
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on important emerging research that redefines the current disciplinary boundaries in science, technology, and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. It not only discusses the progress made towards securing more resources, allocating smarter solutions, and rebalancing the relationship between nature and people, but also provides in-depth insights from comprehensive research that addresses the 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) as set out by the UN for 2030.
The series draws on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Including interdisciplinary contributions, it presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both economic and sustainable development, through better use of data, more effective institutions, and global, local, and individual action, for the welfare of all societies.
The series particularly features conceptual and empirical contributions from various interrelated fields of science, technology, and innovation, with an emphasis on digital transformation, that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water, and energy security to achieve the SDGs. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues in different regions of the world.
The series is intended for professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with IEREK, the Springer ASTI series will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services. Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals. Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world. As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
For IEREK's Provious Publications, Please Click here
- Green Urbanism (GU) - 1st Edition held in Roma Tre University, Rome, Italy in October, 2016.
- Green Urbanism (GU) - 2nd Edition held in Roma Tre University, Rome, Italy in December, 2018.
- Green Urbanism (GU) 3rd Edition held in University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy in December, 2019.
Important Note:IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit is fraudulent.The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
Authors must refer to, and abide by, the following instructions in submitting their abstracts/ papers:
- The author should prepare and submit an Abstract (250 300 words) through the website and before the abstract submission deadline.
- The abstract should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- The author should select the most relevant topic for the paper from the corresponding conference topics.
- The author can use/download an abstract writing template to submit the abstract file accordingly.
To download the Abstract Writing Template, Click Here
- Upon submission, an abstract will undergo a preliminary evaluation process by members of our scientific committee.
-A relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented and sound literature and methodology of the work.
- The author will receive a notification by email, within 2 weeks, of:
There are 2 types of paper submission at this conference:
- A short paper submission consists of 4–5 pages and suits researches that make significant contributions, but still in progress or can be reported briefly.
- The structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements, and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online.
- A short paper is only included in the conference Abstracts book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full-length paper and pay the corresponding fee.
to download the Short Paper Writing Template, Click here.
- The Full/ Long paper submission is 8 – 12+ pages in length.
- The full paper should state the major issue(s) addressed, the potential significance of the work, the theoretical and methodological approach(es) pursued, major findings, conclusions, implications, and relevant scholarly references.
- A full/long paper will be included in the conference abstracts book as well as get published online by Springer or by IEREK PRESS Journals.
- The author should submit the full/short paper written on the writing template, through our online system before the paper submission deadline.
- The full/short paper should be written in English as it's the official language of the conference.
To download the full-paper writing template, Click Here.
All Chapters will be screened for similarity using iThenticate; a Turnitin Plagiarism detection software, used for academic publishers. Springer Similarity guidelines are as follows:
Once Preliminary approval for presentation at the conference and/or consideration for publication is granted, authors will be expected to complete payment in reference to the Conference Fees.
In this phase of revision, the research paper will be evaluated based on its originality, structure, and relativity to the conference theme. If the paper gets acceptance by one reviewer, a paper preliminary acceptance notification will be sent to the author accordingly.
- As soon as payment is confirmed and done successfully, corresponding official documents can be issued from our end such as:
Only after payment is confirmed,
- and the full paper submission deadline is reached, a submitted full-length paper is assigned to an Editor from the Editorial Board, in alignment with IEREK’s revision SOP (double-blind process).
- Each paper/ chapter is evaluated by a minimum of two reviewers, after which a final decision by the responsible Editor is made. There is no maximum to the number of times a paper can be reviewed, depending on the quality of the submission.
- Once a decision is made by the Editors, IEREK Editors will communicate one of the following three final decisions:
- If modifications are in order, authors will be sent the relevant instructions and a deadline will be set. Missed deadlines may result in complete exclusion from the final publication/ final rejection.
- A back and forth process, modifications will be sent back to the responsible Editor/ Series Editor and another round of evaluation conducted.
Attending a conference dramatically enhances both your professional and personal development. They help you sharpen the saw, meet and converse with industry experts, expand your resources and grow your professional network. IEREK Conference will help you:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists, from different universities and countries, to exchange and share their experiences and research results.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates acknowledged by IEREK, the University, and Partnering Organizations.
3. Publication: Selected high-quality manuscripts will be published, after peer review, in the Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) book series by Springer or by IEREK Press Journals, both of which are indexed in world-renowned databases.
4. Research Technologies: Conferences can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research.
5. Networking: You can engage with industry experts to discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on and increase your chances of collaboration in future projects.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles and an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Abstracts Material: Delegates will receive the conference Abstracts book in both hardcover and digital format on a CD. Shipping fees may apply.
To help the organizers plan for inter-disciplinary dialogue, participants are requested to choose from the conference themes/ Topics upon registration.
They must also refer to, and abide by, the following instructions in registering and submitting their abstracts/ papers:
Types of Participation
Organized from the comfort of your own home, the conference offers a virtual attendance option for your convenience. That said, participants will have a chance to present their abstract/research, online, and have their work considered for publication in the proceedings.
Virtual presenters are required to submit an abstract and extend this abstract following the “author instructions” below and before the deadline (see Important Dates). At least one author must pay the registration fee (see Conference Fees).
For any reason, authors may wish to submit pre-recorded video presentations no later than 15 days prior to the conference. Alternatively, they may wish to record a voice-over PowerPoint presentation for submission to the conference organizers.
Organized on the Campus of Palermo University, Sicily, Italy, offering a Physical attendance option for your convenience. That said, participants will have a chance to present their abstract/research, on campus, and have their work considered for publication in the ASTI Series by Springer as part of the conference proceedings.
If your extended abstract (short paper) is accepted, it may be published in the conference proceedings book in the Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation Book Series by Springer (indexed in Scopus) even if you are not attending the conference. In this case, the accepted work will not be included in the final conference program and the fee will cover the cost of editorial handling and peer-review evaluation of your paper (See Author Instructions and Publishing Opportunities)
Non-presenting participants may also wish to attend the conference as Audience Members or Co-authors contributing to an already submitted abstract/ paper.
Rome stands as one of the finest and oldest cities in the world. The history of Rome spans over 2500 years and it has been a centre of power, politics, culture and development since its inception. Creation of the city is steeped in legend and mythology and there are various different accounts of how this majestic place was built. Various Roman emperors and Casers have ruled mighty Rome and this is the place where the colossal Roman Empire grew from.
This mighty structure is one of the most renowned and iconic landmarks in the world and a trip to Rome would not be complete without visiting the Colosseum.
Also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, the Colosseum was constructed between 70-80 AD and at its peak was estimated to hold 80,000 spectators.
Rome holds a small country within a country – The Vatican.
This independent state is one of the most important religious sites in the world and St. Peter’s Square is an iconic place where many significant events have taken place.
Located at the front of the Vatican state, the square is actually circular and is framed by two huge sets of colonnades – Standing on these columns are beautiful statues of various religious figures and previous popes.
The mighty Pantheon stands as one of the best preserved ancient Roman buildings in the world and is one of Rome’s most famous attractions.
Constructed in 118 AD by emperor Hadrian, the building that stands today was actually built on the site where an earlier temple stood that was commissioned by Agrippa.
There are not many other fountains in the world as lavishly decorated and sculptured as the Trevi fountain.
Constructed in 1762 by Nicola Salvi, the fountain pays tribute to the Roman God Oceanus who can be seen riding his chariot pulled by Tritons and taming several Hippocamps.
The detail of the sculptures is simply wonderful and the whole facade and fountain are a true work of art.
Part of the Vatican museum complex, the Sistine Chapel is one of the most renowned religious chapels in the world and has a stunning amount of detail and iconography.
Situated in the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican City, the Sistine Chapel was extensively restored in the 1400’s and the place where the papal enclave takes place – It is here that a new pope is selected.
The Sistine Chapel is particularly famous for its extensive and detailed decorations including the Last Judgement fresco by Michelangelo and the ceiling artwork.
|Abstract Submissions Deadline||01 Jun 2022|
|Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance||01 Jul 2022|
|Full Paper Submission Deadline||30 Aug 2022|
|Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance||29 Sep 2022|
|Early Payment Deadline||30 Aug 2022|
|Regular Payment Deadline||29 Sep 2022|
|Late Payment Deadline||29 Oct 2022|
|Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)||29 Sep 2022|
|Letter of Final Acceptance||29 Sep 2022|
|Conference Program||29 Oct 2022|
|Conference Launch||29 Nov 2022|
|*ID must be shown||*Affiliation must be provided||*Affiliation must be provided|
|Author Participation (Consideration in the ASTI Book by Springer)|
|Early Bird||300 €||350 €||400 €||30 Aug 2022|
|Regular Payment||350 €||400 €||500 €||29 Sep 2022|
|Late Payment||450 €||500 €||600 €||29 Oct 2022|
|Author Participation (Consideration in the IEREK Press Journal)|
|Early Bird||200 €||250 €||300 €||30 Aug 2022|
|Regular Payment||250 €||300 €||400 €||29 Sep 2022|
|Late Payment||350 €||400 €||500 €||29 Sep 2022|
|Regular Payment||150 €||200 €||250 €||29 Sep 2022|
|*ID must be shown||*Affiliation must be provided||*Affiliation must be provided|
|Author Participation (Consideration in the ASTI Book by Springer)|
|Regular Payment||200 €||250 €||250 €||29 Sep 2022|
|Late Payment||300 €||350 €||350 €||29 Oct 2022|
|Author Participation (Consideration in the IEREK Press Journal)|
|Regular Payment||100 €||150 €||150 €||29 Sep 2022|
|Late Payment||200 €||250 €||250 €||29 Oct 2022|
|Regular Payment||50 €||50 €||50 €||29 Sep 2022|
|*Authors may request that their kits be delivered, for an additional fee decided by the courier, and upon request. Alternatively, authors located in Egypt can pick them up from Cairo/ Alexandria office.|
|Additional Conference Kit (Excluding Delivery) *Contact us for a quotation on shipping fees.||100 €|
Payment Terms and Guidelines:
Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances will receive refunds according to the following:
|Cancellation Policy||Up to 60 days before the event||59 days before the event|
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- A submitted manuscript is rejected by the editorial board after going through peer review.
- For participants who need Entry Visas to the country where the conference will be held, IEREK will issue the corresponding invitation letter for accepted applicants to facilitate visa issuance.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Invitation Letter Issuance Process
1- In case the participant is an author who has submitted a research paper to the conference, it must get accepted by the Scientific Committee
2- Required participation fees must be paid
3- The participant should send the following information to the conference's official email:
* A clear copy of passport
* Passport number
* Full name as written in your passport.
* Date of Issuing and Expiration
* Date of Birth
* Email address of the nearest Embassy/Consulate to you
* Mobile Number including country code
4- Conference coordinator will issue the needful invitation letter and send a copy to the participant's email, in addition to another one to the corresponding email address of the embassy/consulate
5- The participant should print out the invitation letter along with all other required documents by the embassy/consulate and apply for VISA
Join IEREK community