(+20) 3 5763827 | (+20) 3 5763828
Professor at the Department of Architecture (DiDA), University of Florence, Florence Italy.
An International Conference from the Comfort of Your Own Home!
Due to the uncertainties and restrictions inflicted by the #COVID19 pandemic, and for everyone's safety following the Health Organization's recommendations, it is in everyone's interest to host the conference online. As pioneers of this movement, IEREK is proud to be hosting this conference online. IEREK believes that rather than giving in to this disease and stopping our progress, pushing forward is of utmost importance.
So, how can participating in an international Video Conference boost your career, future potentials, and experience?
All of these and much more are benefits of participation in the UPADSD 6th international video conference.
The 6th Conference on “Urban Planning and Architectural Design for Sustainable Development” (UPADSD), follows the success of the previous meeting in 2015, 2017, 2018 ,2019, and 2020. The Concept of sustainable development has emerged over the past few decades as a new necessity for urban cities.
Minimizing the negative impact of buildings on the environment has been one of the main concerns of sustainable development that has surfaced over the past few decades. Sustainable architecture and planning are defined to ensure that our current use of available resources does not end up depleting the resources for the future.
As Numerous architectural and planning strategies have been developed over time to meet today's needs without endangering the needs of the future generations, such as, controlling urban sprawl, increase the dependency on renewable energy, Implementation of sustainable building materials, and many other aspects concerned with sustainable development.
Sustainable Architecture aims to increase the efficiency of energy usage over the entire life cycle of a building. Architects implement renewable energy resources as a mean to enhance their buildings and reduce the negative impacts on its surrounding environment, as one of the many sustainable approaches to improve the quality of life for the users.
Whether it is the designing of a building, planning a city or even reconstructing of an existent urban environment, having a sustainable outcome has become the main focus of today's urban planning. Seeing that, it results in an efficient and moderate use of materials, energy, development space, and the ecosystem as a whole.
Despite the importance of materials to overall building sustainability, quantifying and evaluating the sustainability of building materials has proven difficult which is why it is an important part of modern and sustainable development that emphasizes on resources optimization.
1.1 Urbanization and Development: new directions and issues
1.2 Urban Spaces, Society and its Culture
1.3 Urban Sprawl, Boundaries and Greenbelt
1.4 Built Environment: Impact and Approaches
1.5 Sustainable and Natural Resources Management
1.6 Planning Inspiration from Past and Innovation
2.1 City’s Values, Image and Identity
2.2 Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Tourism
2.3 Biomimetic Approaches to Architectural Design for Increased Sustainability
2.4 Social Feedback and User's-Oriented Development
2.5 Waterfronts, Corridors and Buffers of the City
2.6 Historic Preservation, Management and Rehabilitation
3.1 Compact City Debate: A Global Perspective
3.2 Compact Cities in Developing Countries: Assessment and Implications
3.3 The Regional Dimensions of the Compact City Debate
3.4 The Need for Compact Development in Fast Growing Areas
3.5 Compact Policies for Megacities: Core Areas and Metropolitan Regions
3.6 Challenges of a Rapid Urbanized Economy
4.1 Public Transportation Planning and Sustainable Networks
4.2 Public Involvement in Sustainable Development
4.3 Future Challenges for Contemporary Cities
4.4 Infrastructure, Facilities and Systems: New ICT Technologies and Sustainable Economy
4.5 New Way Finding and Place Making of the City
4.6 The Architecture of Cyberception
5.1 Intersection of Public Art and City Planning
5.2 Art Integration in Urban Morphology
5.3 new perspectives for urban morphology
5.4 Arts, Culture, Identity and Creative Place-Making
5.5 Urban Culture: Cities Share their Experiences
5.6 A Look inside Art and Creative Spaces
|Abstract Submissions Deadline||15 May 2021|
|Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance||10 Jun 2021|
|Full Paper Submission Deadline||05 Aug 2021|
|Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance||15 Aug 2021|
|Early Payment Deadline||15 Aug 2021|
|Regular Payment Deadline||15 Aug 2021|
|Late Payment Deadline||15 Aug 2021|
|Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)||01 Jan 1970|
|Letter of Final Acceptance||20 Aug 2021|
|Conference Program||07 Sep 2021|
|Conference Launch||14 Sep 2021|
- Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
- Each co-author (1-5 max) has his/her own separate fees to pay as shown in the table below.
- A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference Abstract book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Loyalty Membership Discounts
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded!
IEREK offers its loyal participants the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
Covid-19 Conference attendance Fees: Held online from the comfort of your own home, the fees below guarantee your virtual attendance for all days of the conference date above.
Non-UniFI Participant Fees
*Applicable to non-UniFI participants. *Covers paper submission processing fees, consideration for publication, virtual attendance, and virtual social program.
Attendance Fees (Co-authors & Audience Members)
*Covers virtual attendance, virtual social program, and contribution certificate.
UniFI Participant Fees
*50% Discount ONLY applicable to UniFI faculty members and staff.
*Please Contact Us to provide you with a special payment link with the Discounted Price.
*Attending and non-attending. Covers inclusion in abstracts book, publication upon approval, and contribution certificate.
Authors may request that their kits be delivered, for an additional fee decided by the courier, and upon request. Alternatively, authors located in Egypt can pick them up from Cairo/ Alexandria office.
|Shipping Fees for Conference Abstract book and certificate (Depends on Location)||Contact Us|
|Additional Conference Kit (Excluding Delivery)||EUR 100|
|Author & Audience additional fees (Physical Attendance -TBA)||EUR 150|
Important Note:IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit is fraudulent.The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
Authors must refer to, and abide by, the following instructions in submitting their abstracts/ papers:
- The author should prepare and submit an Abstract (250 300 words) through the website and before the abstract submission deadline.
- The abstract should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- The author should select the most relevant topic for the paper from the corresponding conference topics.
- The author can use/download an abstract writing template to submit the abstract file accordingly.
To download the Abstract Writing Template, Click Here
- Upon submission, an abstract will undergo a preliminary evaluation process by members of our scientific committee.
-A relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented and sound literature and methodology of the work.
- The author will receive a notification by email, within 2 weeks, of:
There are 2 types of paper submission at this conference:
- A short paper submission consists of 4–5 pages and suits researches that make significant contributions, but still in progress or can be reported briefly.
- The structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements, and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online.
- A short paper is only included in the conference Abstracts book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full-length paper and pay the corresponding fee.
- The Full/ Long paper submission is 8 – 12+ pages in length.
- The full paper should state the major issue(s) addressed, the potential significance of the work, the theoretical and methodological approach(es) pursued, major findings, conclusions, implications, and relevant scholarly references.
- A full/long paper will be included in the conference abstracts book as well as get published online by Springer or by IEREK PRESS Journals.
- The author should submit the full/short paper written on the writing template, through our online system before the paper submission deadline.
- The full/short paper should be written in English as it's the official language of the conference.
All Chapters will be screened for similarity using iThenticate; a Turnitin Plagiarism detection software, used for academic publishers. Springer Similarity guidelines are as follows:
To download Paper Writing Template, Click Here
Once Preliminary approval for presentation at the conference and/or consideration for publication is granted, authors will be expected to complete payment in reference to the Conference Fees.
In this phase of revision, the research paper will be evaluated based on its originality, structure, and relativity to the conference theme. If the paper gets acceptance by one reviewer, a paper preliminary acceptance notification will be sent to the author accordingly.
- As soon as payment is confirmed and done successfully, corresponding official documents can be issued from our end such as:
Only after payment is confirmed,
- and the full paper submission deadline is reached, a submitted full-length paper is assigned to an Editor from the Editorial Board, in alignment with IEREK’s revision SOP (double-blind process).
- Each paper/ chapter is evaluated by a minimum of two reviewers, after which a final decision by the responsible Editor is made. There is no maximum to the number of times a paper can be reviewed, depending on the quality of the submission.
- Once a decision is made by the Editors, IEREK Editors will communicate one of the following three final decisions:
- If modifications are in order, authors will be sent the relevant instructions and a deadline will be set. Missed deadlines may result in complete exclusion from the final publication/ final rejection.
- A back and forth process, modifications will be sent back to the responsible Editor/ Series Editor and another round of evaluation conducted.
Publishing in ASTI by Springer (Scopus indexed)
After the conference, the submitted manuscripts of authors interested in publishing in the ASTI book series will undergo a rigorous peer review process resulting in a final decision made by the editors. Only accepted research will be published as a chapter in the Book Series entitled “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer. The ASTI Book Series is by managed highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure high-quality material for online publication.
The ASTI Book Series is fully indexed in Scopus. Some titles have been successfully indexed or submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI).
About the ASTI series
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on important emerging research that redefines the current disciplinary boundaries in science, technology and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. It not only discusses the progress made towards securing more resources, allocating smarter solutions, and rebalancing the relationship between nature and people, but also provides in-depth insights from comprehensive research that addresses the 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) as set out by the UN for 2030.
The series draws on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Including interdisciplinary contributions, it presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both economic and sustainable development, through better use of data, more effective institutions, and global, local and individual action, for the welfare of all societies.
The series particularly features conceptual and empirical contributions from various interrelated fields of science, technology and innovation, with an emphasis on digital transformation, that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water and energy security to achieve the SDGs. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues in different regions of the world.
The series is intended for professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with IEREK, the Springer ASTI series will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services. Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals. Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world. As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
Publishing in Resourceedings by IEREK Press
Resourceedings is an open-access journal that publishes conference proceedings. Conference proceedings compromise of different disciplines, ranging from Engineering including built environments, architecture, and sustainability. Disciplines also include Technology and Energy. Resourceedings is a journal that publishes research articles that shed light on different crucial issues in order to provide them with solutions and suggestions. The journal publishes articles submitted by researchers of interest in different fields.
Resourceedings welcomes diverse approaches to innovative ideas that could potentially be a breakthrough in a particular field of study. To provide permanent archiving, Resourceedings is archived in the collaborative digital preservation archiving systems in LOCKSS, as they provide access to permanent and authorized digital content for electronic scholarly journals.
In accordance with the definition of open access journal provided by BOAI, Resourceedings is a model of the fully open journal that allows global open access to its content which is freely available without charge to users and institutions. They are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose for non-commercial use, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author.
Attending a conference dramatically enhances both your professional and personal development. They help you sharpen the saw, meet and converse with industry experts, expand your resources and grow your professional network. IEREK Conference will help you:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists, from different universities and countries, to exchange and share their experiences and research results.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates acknowledged by IEREK, the University, and Partnering Organizations.
3. Publication: Selected high-quality manuscripts will be published, after peer review, in the Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) book series by Springer or by IEREK Press Journals, both of which are indexed in world-renowned databases.
4. Research Technologies: Conferences can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research.
5. Networking: You can engage with industry experts to discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on and increase your chances of collaboration in future projects.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles and an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Abstracts Material: Delegates will receive the conference Abstracts book in both hardcover and digital format on a CD. Shipping fees may apply.
Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances will receive refunds according to the following:
|Cancellation Policy||Up to 60 days before the event||59 days before the event|
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- A submitted manuscript is rejected by the editorial board after going through peer review.
For IEREK's Previous Publications, Please Click here
- Urban planning and Architectural Design for Sustainable Development (UPADSD) held in Lecce of Italy in October 2015.
- Urban Planning and Architectural Design for Sustainable Development (UPADSD) – 2nd Edition held in Palermo Italy in October 2017.
- Urban Planning and Architectural Design for Sustainable Development (UPADSD) – 3rd Edition held in Cairo, Egypt in December 2018.
- Urban Planning and Architectural Design for Sustainable Development (UPADSD) – 4th Edition (Online Conference) in November 2019.
- Urban Planning and Architectural Design for Sustainable Development (UPADSD) – 5th Edition (Online Conference in collaboration with Florence University, Italy) in July 2020.
Join IEREK community