To submit your paper for the 2nd edition of the "URS" conference, click here
Following previous successes, the 2nd Edition of the Parallelism in Architecture, Engineering and Computing Techniques conference and the 1st Edition of the Urban Regeneration & Sustainability conference were both organized along side and held in one of IEREK's partner universities: The University of East London, the Docklands Campus. Once more, it was chaired by Professor Hassan Abdalla; the Dean of the School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering of UEL.
The conference started with a welcoming word by Professor Hassan Abdalla and a brief overview of the conference topics to be discussed, the expected outcome and current and future work. Following his speech, Dr. Fulvio Wirz, MA Programme leader at UEL and Associate at Zaha Hadid Architects, took over the podium to introduce the conference. The session was then wrapped up by a speech from IEREK's Chief Executive Officer and founder, Dr. Mourad Amer and a presentation on the company, its aims & goals and events overtime, which was delivered by its General Director, Dr. Abdelaziz Sakr.
Held in parallel to another conference on Urban Regeneration & Sustainability, the program was split into 4 sessions in total. Each session was held and moderated by reputable professors who were did an outstanding job organizing the conference and its sessions. Each Day was initiated with a keynote speech delivered by speakers on the topics of the conferences as per the scheduled sessions and their respective titles. The Keynotes and their speeches were delivered as follows:
A Full day visit to the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich to experience the area and get a glimpse of the different developments undertaken.
Dr. Fulvio Wirz -Lecture title: "Digital Fabrication and the City: the Shift Towards Modular Complexity in Urban and Architectural Design"
Professor Gabriele Sorrento -CEO and Founder of Mindesk: a VR-based design platform. Lecture title: "Virtual Reality: Breaking the Fifth Wall"
Professor Hocine Bougdah -Reader in Architectural Technology in Canterbury School of Architecture. Lecture title: "Heritage inspired Contemporary Urban Settlements: The case of the Ksour in the M'Zab Valley, Algeria"
1. Green Buildings Role In Preserving The Environment.
2. Green Infrastructure And Designing With Nature.
3. Alternative Energy: Source Of Solar Energy Power And Renewable Energy.
4. Energy Efficiency In The Built Environment.
5. Production And Regeneration In Regional Development.
6. New Urbanism Models.
7. Sustainable Spaces And Places Of Living, Working And Recreation.
8. Urban Heat Islands' Effect And Pollution.
9. Large Cities Planning And Innovation Future.
10. Monitoring And Assessment Tools: Building Regulation And Performance Evaluation.
11. Waterfront Developments And Coastal Communities.
12. Industrial Area Agglomeration And Cooperation Strategies.
13. Population And Future Urban Expansion.
14. Sustainable Landscape And Procurement.
15. Housing And Economic Development.
16. Strategies For New Cities Proposals In Developing Countries.
17. Landscape, Gardens, Streetscapes And Urban Biodiversity.
18. Formulating The Principles Of Green Urbanism.
19. Sprawled Areas And Sustainable Development.
20. Public Involvement In Communities' Development.
Abstract Submissions Deadline
18th June 2018
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
18th July 2018
Full Paper Submission Deadline
7th July 2018
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
27th August 2018
Early Payment Deadline
2nd October 2018
Regular Payment Deadline
20th September 2018
Late Payment Deadline
10th October 2018
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
9th August 2018
Letter of Final Acceptance
9th August 2018
15th September 2018
15th October 2018
University of East London, Docklands Campus, University Way
London, United Kingdom
- Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
- Each co-author (1-5 max) has his/her own separate fees to pay as shown in a table below.
- A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference proceedings book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Cancellations / Refunds
- Delegates who cancel their registration due to special circumstances less than 60 days before the start of the conference will receive a complete refund minus a 100 USD administration charge.
- Once an acceptance letter has been issued, a refund is not possible.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa (if needed), by providing relevant documents (if any), but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Loyalty Membership Discounts
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants with the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
*The aforementioned discounts are only applicable during Regular and Late Payment times. For more information, please refer to 'Important Dates'.
Conference fees :
Author Fees and Publication
Author fees for Early Payment | 8th August 2018
Author fees for Regular Paymen | 9th September 2018
Author fees for Late Payment | 10th October 2018
Regular Attendance Fees
Fees for Audiences (Co-authors, Learners, and Interests)
Fees for NON-Attending Co-Authors
Extra Fees (upon request)
Additional Conference Book (Hard copy + CD)
Please note that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa if needed, by sending an invitation letter, but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances for any reason will receive refunds according to the following plan and according to the number of days from the start of the event:
Up to 60 days before the event
Up to 50 days before the event
Up to 40 days before the event
39 days before the event
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- All matters have been finalized (accommodation/travel expenses paid for)
Visa Rejection Cases
Reason and proof of rejection must be submitted. If the reason of rejection is due to an error on our part, the participant will be refunded their full fee with a deduction of a 20% administration fee.
Documents to be issued by IEREK to acquire a visa are as follows:
* Final Acceptance Letter (Authors only)
* Visa Invitation Letter
* Invoice/proof of payment
We encourage all authors and attendees to ensure their having acquired all documents (those applicable) mentioned.
If the reason of rejection is not related to any of the aforementioned and is an error on the participant’s part, the following will apply:
* Authors: may choose to let their co-author present his/her research on his/her behalf free of charge. If the author does not have a co-author, a member of the scientific committee shall present on the author’s behalf.
* Audience members/Registrants: will only be allowed to attend another similar event of their choosing that is organized by IEREK free of charge.
- Publication in IEREK Press:- Authors will be given the chances to publish in 'ARChive'.
- Selected Manuscripts:- A book Series by 'Springer'. Publication in the 'Springer' Book Series will only be applicable to the selected papers that will be supervised by highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure a high-quality publication material
- To publish your research in an online Journal or Book by 'Springer' and provide it with world-wide visibility, authors must submit an extended version of their short papers that are 10 -12 pages long.
* Full length papers selected for publication in ASTI book series are subject to submission into a rigorous revision process by a scientific committee of experts before notice of acceptance/rejection for publication.
* Thus, such outstanding material will lead to the indexing of the series in well-known indexing databases such as 'Scopus' and 'Thomson Reuters'.
Once an abstract has been submitted to our website, it is assigned for review by the reviewers using the abstract review sheet and validation of publication. This is based on four criteria:
1· Accepted (with minor editing changes).
2· Conditionally accepted (with revisions provided to authors).
3· Rejected but encouraged for re-submission with major modifications.
4· Rejected as inappropriate or unworthy of presentation in this certain conference.
- The criteria for accepting abstracts for the conference are as follows; a relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented as well as a sound literature and methodology of work.
Acceptance for your paper:
After receiving an acceptance for your abstract and after the submission of your research (short paper version), the paper will enter a process for plagiarism check to ensure that the content is original.
( Extended Papers )
After the conference, authors interested in publishing their manuscripts will be required to submit an extended version of their research papers (10-12 pages long) and they will be subject to a rigorous revision process as follows:
Uploading Full-Length Paper:
Authors who are allowed to upload their full-length paper(s) should use the same account details to upload their full paper(s).
The final paper will proceed to the primary revision to be checked if it meets the conference proceedings standards. Once it gets accepted, the author will be informed to pay the fees so that it could be sent for the final revision by the scientific committee.
In this step, and to proceed paper(s) that passed to final revision process and to get the final approval, authors have to pay the requested fees. Otherwise, the final revision process will not be considered for their papers.
Inspections and Final Approval of Full Papers:
The full papers that paid the requested fees will get finally inspected, either scientifically or linguistically. There will be a rigorous review process of full papers following the previous process according to the following criteria:
(1) Is the topic relevant to the conference?
(2) Are the writing and structure clear?
(3) Are graphics, photos, illustrations used where needed?
(4) Are the aims of the study clearly stated?
(5) Are the objectives of the study achieved?
(6) Is the literature review relevant and adequate?
(7) Has the author used the appropriate methodology and explained them clearly?
(8) Has the author interpreted the findings correctly?
(9) Is the paper a significant contribution to the field?
These are the registration and revision procedures for publication that all authors should follow.
To download the writing template for a Short paper,
- IEREK provides you the English Review service; where we will be responsible for the language review process of your paper. This service will get your paper revised in terms of grammar, punctuation, and language structure; without changing the scientific content.
- This service will ensure you have the perfect language structure, to get your perfect paper published. This will help you increase the number of citations and make it easier for others access the information provided in your paper.
Fees for the editing process:
Papers 4-5 pages long
Papers 8-12 pages long
If you are interested in getting this service, please email us your paper on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit, is fraudulent.
- The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
- Duplicating any content, even if it is one sentence or one table without the consent of its original Author, will lead to the paper’s refusal upon the complaint of the plagiarism victim.
Benefits Of Attending
Since conferences are the places where new science results are typically first presented so, it helps you sharpen the saw, meet experts & influencers face to face, learning in a new space, build your knowledge base, expand your resources and grow your professional network. Yet attending conferences organized by IEREK will not only helps you gain previous benefits but also can be very rewarding on the professional level due to below reasons:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists to exchange and share their experiences and research results on all aspects of smart cities development. Furthermore, you get to converse with other researchers from different universities and countries. You learn from experts in the field. It is a great opportunity to find more about your field and listen to ideas that could help inspire research ideas of your own.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates which will be added to their certificates of experience or could be presented to the official authorities concerned.
3. Publication: The conference proceedings will be published by one or more journals since authors can choose to publish their research paper either in "ARChive" international journal of science hosted by IEREK Press or "SSRN" by "ELSEVIER". Besides, high-quality manuscripts based on scientific committee evaluation will be published either in Environmental Sciences & Sustainable Development (ESSD) by IEREK Press or a book series by "Springer".
4. Research Technologies: Conferences also can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research. Moreover, they let you test them out, share teaching tools and techniques, or even obtain samples of textbooks.
5. Networking: Conferences help in networking which often increases your chances of collaboration in future projects. As you can engage with respectable professors and discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles, not to mention the benefits for your C.V as it will create an impression that you are an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Proceedings Material: Delegates will have the choice of receiving the conference proceedings as either a hardcover book or in digital format on a CD. The CD will additionally contain proceedings from previous conferences in this series.
8. Venue: Getting an overview of the place or city where the conference is being held and learning about its people and culture.
Moreover, all conference papers are archived online in the E-Library of IEREK‘s website where they are immediately and permanently available to the international scientific community.
- For participants who need Entry Visas, IEREK will issue a visa letter by University of East London for applicants who are accepted to present at our conferences.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
- However, you are required to prepare your papers according to the regulations of your country’s embassy/consulate. To do this, you will need to visit the embassy/consulate website or by contacting them.
- In case of any missing document during the appointment or any other unfortunate incident that leads to your rejection, IEREK clears its responsibility as we will have done our part in providing the documents we can provide to ease the process.
Urban Regeneration and Sustainability
Download the official program
Urban regeneration is the rehabilitation of land areas that are subject to high-density urban land use. It is a strategy that aims to transform and renovate areas to be upgraded in housing, public and private buildings, infrastructure, and services. This entire process is an effective way to improve urban performance by targeting areas with a high incidence of poverty, pollution, and congestion, leading to a complete Economic and Regional Development of the area. Urban regeneration Program is only proven successful when sustained. This program largely influenced many urban landscapes and affected the history and demographics of cities around the world.
As a result of its successes, urban regeneration is now known as the attempt to reverse declining cities. It does so by improving physical structures through new urbanization models and working to enhance the economy of those cities. These New Urbanization Models must be highly enduring systems that prove sustainability, which is reached by covering all aspects of the four interconnected domains: ecology, economics, politics, and culture.
Today, the process of urbanization continues to generate many problems deriving from the drift of the population towards highly populated cities. Resolving these issues is possible by turning them into efficient habitats, saving resources in a way that improves the quality and standard of living. The process, however, faces a number of major challenges, related to reducing pollution, improving main transportation and infrastructure systems. New urban solutions are required to optimize the use of space and energy resources leading to improvements in the environment, i.e. reduction in air, water and soil pollution as well as efficient ways to deal with waste generation. These challenges contribute to the development of social and economic imbalances and require the development of new solutions.
Large cities are probably the most complex mechanisms to manage. However, despite such complexity, they represent a fertile ground for architects, engineers, city planners, social and political scientists, and other professionals able to conceive new ideas and time them according to technological advances and human requirements.
Partnership with the University of East London (UEL), United Kingdom. Certification by the university, alongside IEREK's, will be given to our authors by the end of the conference.
- Dr. Fulvio Wirz (conference Coordinator), Zaha hadid architects associate, and a lecturer in LSBU & UEL.
And more to be announced!
Associate Professor of Urban Planning, Ain Shams University,..