Reaching a zero-emission and zero-waste urban city design has been one of the most focused topics in the past few decades. Promoting compact energy-efficient urban development, seeking to transform and re-engineer existing city districts and regenerate the post-industrial city center. Green Urbanism promotes the creation and development of beneficial communities and urban cities to both human and the environment.
As the advance of the human society began to demand an increasing demand in energy consumption which in turn affects the world's resources, Green Urbanism attempts to mold sustainable communities and urban cities that would consume less of our Earth's resources. It is interdisciplinary, combining the collaboration of landscape architects, engineers, urban planners, ecologists, transport planners, and other specialists in addition to architects and urban designers.
Green Urbanization of previously existent communities and cities is even more important than the development of new ones, as figuring out ways to reach the optimum state where all around the world, the fear of resources depleting, is non-existent. Not only that, but the preservation of the urban landscape that connects the cultural components, like identity and history with the natural physics of a city, like its geography, water and natural ecology, is of the utmost importance.
In an attempt to give birth to a sustainable city which operated on many levels that includes, public and private spaces designment, circulation, services and presenting a more efficient and maintainable lifestyle, IEREK organizes the 5th edition of the international conference on "Green Urbanism" to help find clear insights to the many levels that are required to achieve the desired balance in urban cities in relation to the ecosystem.
Many challenges and problems are still faced in realizing the balance between urban environment and the ecosystem that surrounds it. Minimizing the usage of energy, water and several other resources are only but a few facing the creation of sustainable green urbanistic cities which is why the Green Urbanism conferences aim to add the concept of sustainability to the available natural resources with the innovative approach to the energy efficiency and providing green solutions to problems that are still faced with many challenges to overcome.
In order to deal with cross-cut issues in architecture and urban design with the goal of addressing the different aspects that are associated with the ways that could be the best and cohesively integrate all the aspects of functionality, and the pressing need for the incorporation of the principles of sustainability into the urban design processes of cities and the general need for sustainable development which will be of particular relevance to the rapid urban growth of developing cities, as well as providing a context for general debate regarding the regeneration of the periphery and city centers as a catalyst for energy and skills, IEREK invites you to participate in this conference to communicate your ideas and knowledge throughout this 3-day content-filled event, the opportunity of networking with experts in the field and sharing experiences is maximized. We invite you to join the journey towards a more sustainable future from 06 – 08 December 2021.
1. Principles of Green Urbanism
The Evolution of Green Urbanism
Formulating the Principles of Green Urbanism
Urban Design for Nature, Conservation of Natural Resources
Passive Designs: Green Buildings for Sustainable Use
Green Districts: Bike, Cycles, and Pedestrians’ Corridors
The Sense of Identity in Green Urban Cities
2. Green Urbanism for a Greener Future
Urban Growth of Developing Cities
City Urban Form and Natural Resources
Landscape, Gardens, Streetscapes, and Urban Biodiversity
Urbanization of Rural Area: Energy, Water, and Food Security
Urban Governance, Leadership, Best Practices, Research, and Awareness
Green Buildings: Technologically Advanced and Environmentally Friendly
3. Green Infrastructure and Sustainable Environment
Green Infrastructure and Social Services
Sustainable Freight Transport and Supply Chains
Strategies of Urban Sustainable Public Transport
Urban Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Sustainable Networks
Innovation and Advancing in Urban Design
Climate Responsive Architecture: Solar Architecture and Renewable Energies
4. Improving and Strengthening the Urban Performance
Regeneration of the City Center and Urban Transit Hubs
Waste Management, Pollution, and Health Risks
Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment
Effects of Sustainable Environments on Human Health
Advancing Solutions towards Zero Waste Cities
Zero-emission and zero-waste urban city design
5. Transformation to Green Environment
Green Initiatives for Sustainable Development
Innovations and Technologies towards Built Environment
Creative Environments: Sustainable Places of Living, Working, and Recreation
Urban Ventilation: Confrontation of Heat Island Effect
International Case Studies: Strategies for New Cities' Proposals in Developing Countries
Sustainably Green Reconstruction and Preservation of Old Cities
Abstract Submissions Deadline
06 Aug 2021
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
20 Aug 2021
Full Paper Submission Deadline
06 Oct 2021
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
06 Nov 2021
Early Payment Deadline
06 Nov 2021
Regular Payment Deadline
06 Nov 2021
Late Payment Deadline
06 Nov 2021
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
07 Oct 2021
Letter of Final Acceptance
08 Nov 2021
20 Nov 2021
06 Dec 2021
- Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
- Each co-author (1-5 max) has his/her own separate fees to pay as shown in the table below.
- A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference Abstract book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Loyalty Membership Discounts
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
Covid-19 Conference attendance Fees: Held online from the comfort of your own home, the fees below guarantee your virtual attendance for all days of the conference date above.
Non-UniRoma Participant Fees
*Applicable to non-UniRomaparticipants. *Covers paper submission processing fees, consideration for publication, virtual attendance, and virtual social program.
Attendance Fees (Co-authors & Audience Members)
*Covers virtual attendance, virtual social program, and contribution certificate.
UniRoma Participant Fees ID/ proof must be shown.
*20% Discount ONLY applicable to UniRomafaculty members and staff.
*Attending and non-attending. Covers inclusion in abstracts book, publication upon approval, and contribution certificate.
Authors may request that their kits be delivered, for an additional fee decided by the courier, and upon request. Alternatively, authors located in Egypt can pick them up from Cairo/ Alexandria office.
Shipping Fees for Conference Abstract book and certificate (Depends on Location)
IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit is fraudulent. The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
Authors must refer to, and abide by, the following instructions in submitting their abstracts/ papers:
Step 1: Abstract Submission Process
- The author should prepare and submit an Abstract (250 300 words) through the website and before the abstract submission deadline.
- The abstract should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- The author should select the most relevant topic for the paper from the corresponding conference topics.
- The author can use/download an abstract writing template to submit the abstract file accordingly.
To downloadthe Abstract Writing Template, Click Here
Step 2: Abstract Review
- Upon submission, an abstract will undergo a preliminary evaluation process by members of our scientific committee.
-A relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented and sound literature and methodology of the work.
- The author will receive a notification by email, within 2 weeks, of:
Approval, after which they will be requested to prepare and submit their full/short paper submissions.
Rejection, if the topic proposed does not fit the theme of the conference.
Step 3: Paper Submission & Preliminary Review
There are 2 types of paper submission at this conference:
- A short paper submission consists of 4–5 pages and suits researches that make significant contributions, but still in progress or can be reported briefly.
- The structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements, and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online.
- A short paper is only included in the conference Abstracts book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full-length paper and pay the corresponding fee.
- The Full/ Long paper submission is 8 – 12+ pages in length.
- The full paper should state the major issue(s) addressed, the potential significance of the work, the theoretical and methodological approach(es) pursued, major findings, conclusions, implications, and relevant scholarly references.
- A full/long paper will be included in the conference abstracts book as well as get published online by Springer or by IEREK PRESS Journals.
- The author should submit the full/short paper written on the writing template, through our online system before the paper submission deadline.
- The full/short paper should be written in English as it's the official language of the conference.
Step 4: Similarity Check/ Plagiarism Detection
All Chapters will be screened for similarity using iThenticate; a Turnitin Plagiarism detection software, used for academic publishers. Springer Similarity guidelines are as follows:
Max. % from all sources: 10-15%
Max. % from one source: 3-5%
Higher than 30% (all sources): Reject completely
Lower than 30% (all sources): Ask for revision to decrease the similarities
Once Preliminary approval for presentation at the conference and/or consideration for publication is granted, authors will be expected to complete payment in reference to the Conference Fees.
Note: In this phase of revision, the research paper will be evaluated based on its originality, structure, and relativity to the conference theme. If the paper gets acceptance by one reviewer, a paper preliminary acceptance notification will be sent to the author accordingly.
- As soon as payment is confirmed and done successfully, corresponding official documents can be issued from our end such as:
A signed/stamped preliminary acceptance letter
Receipt of Payment
Visa Invitation Letter
Step 6: Rigorous Peer Review Process (Full-length papers only)
Only after payment is confirmed,
- and the full paper submission deadline is reached, a submitted full-length paper is assigned to an Editor from the Editorial Board, in alignment with IEREK’s revision SOP (double-blind process).
- Each paper/ chapter is evaluated by a minimum of two reviewers, after which a final decision by the responsible Editor is made. There is no maximum to the number of times a paper can be reviewed, depending on the quality of the submission.
- Once a decision is made by the Editors, IEREK Editors will communicate one of the following three final decisions:
Accepted without comments
Revise and Resubmit – Minor or Major revision
- If modifications are in order, authors will be sent the relevant instructions and a deadline will be set. Missed deadlines may result in complete exclusion from the final publication/ final rejection.
- A back and forth process, modifications will be sent back to the responsible Editor/ Series Editor and another round of evaluation conducted.
Asti By Springer
Publishing in ASTI by Springer (Scopus indexed)
After the conference, the submitted manuscripts of authors interested in publishing in the ASTI book series will undergo a rigorous peer review process resulting in a final decision made by the editors. Only accepted research will be published as a chapter in the Book Series entitled “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer. The ASTI Book Series is by managed highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure high-quality material for online publication.
The ASTI Book Series is fully indexed in Scopus. Some titles have been successfully indexed or submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI).
About the ASTI series
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on important emerging research that redefines the current disciplinary boundaries in science, technology and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. It not only discusses the progress made towards securing more resources, allocating smarter solutions, and rebalancing the relationship between nature and people, but also provides in-depth insights from comprehensive research that addresses the 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) as set out by the UN for 2030.
The series draws on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Including interdisciplinary contributions, it presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both economic and sustainable development, through better use of data, more effective institutions, and global, local and individual action, for the welfare of all societies.
The series particularly features conceptual and empirical contributions from various interrelated fields of science, technology and innovation, with an emphasis on digital transformation, that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water and energy security to achieve the SDGs. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues in different regions of the world.
The series is intended for professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with IEREK, the Springer ASTI series will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services. Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals. Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world. As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
Resourceedings by Ierek Press
Publishing in Resourceedings by IEREK Press
Resourceedings is an open-access journal that publishes conference proceedings. Conference proceedings compromise of different disciplines, ranging from Engineering including built environments, architecture, and sustainability. Disciplines also include Technology and Energy. Resourceedings is a journal that publishes research articles that shed light on different crucial issues in order to provide them with solutions and suggestions. The journal publishes articles submitted by researchers of interest in different fields.
Resourceedings welcomes diverse approaches to innovative ideas that could potentially be a breakthrough in a particular field of study. To provide permanent archiving, Resourceedings is archived in the collaborative digital preservation archiving systems in LOCKSS, as they provide access to permanent and authorized digital content for electronic scholarly journals.
In accordance with the definition of open access journal provided by BOAI, Resourceedings is a model of the fully open journal that allows global open access to its content which is freely available without charge to users and institutions. They are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose for non-commercial use, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author.
Sapienza University of Rome
Benefits Of Attending
Attending a conference dramatically enhances both your professional and personal development. They help you sharpen the saw, meet and converse with industry experts, expand your resources and grow your professional network. IEREK Conference will help you:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists, from different universities and countries, to exchange and share their experiences and research results.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates acknowledged by IEREK, the University, and Partnering Organizations.
3. Publication: Selected high-quality manuscripts will be published, after peer review, in the Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) book series by Springer or by IEREK Press Journals, both of which are indexed in world-renowned databases.
4. Research Technologies: Conferences can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research.
5. Networking: You can engage with industry experts to discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on and increase your chances of collaboration in future projects.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles and an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Abstracts Material: Delegates will receive the conference Abstracts book in both hardcover and digital format on a CD.Shipping fees may apply.
- For participants who need Entry Visas to the country where the conference will be held, IEREKwill issue the corresponding invitation letter for accepted applicants to facilitate visa issuance.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Invitation Letter Issuance Process
1- In case the participant is an author who has submitted a research paper to the conference, it must get accepted by the Scientific Committee
2- Required participation fees must be paid
3- The participant should send the following information to the conference's official email [email protected]
* A clear copy of passport
* Passport number
* Full name as written in your passport.
* Date of Issuing and Expiration
* Date of Birth
* Email address of the nearest Italian Embassy/Consulate to you
* Mobile Number including country code
4- Conference coordinator will issue the needful invitation letter and send a copy to the participant's email, in addition to another one to the corresponding embassy/consulate
5- The participant should print out the invitation letter along with all other required documents by the embassy/consulate and apply for VISA
Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances for any reason will receive refunds according to the following plan and according to the number of days from the start of the event:
Up to 60 days before the event
Up to 50 days before the event
Up to 40 days before the event
39 days before the event
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- All matters have been finalized (accommodation/travel expenses paid for)
- A submitted manuscript is rejected by the editorial board after going through peer review.
*A Rejected manuscript can be enhanced and resubmitted for the following edition and processed free of charge (exclusive of attendance).
Visa Rejection Cases
Reason and proof of rejection must be submitted. If the reason of rejection is due to an error on our part, the participant will be refunded their full fee with a deduction of a 20% administration fee.
Documents to be issued by IEREK to acquire a visa are as follows:
* Final Acceptance Letter for Presentation (Authors only)
* Visa Invitation Letter
* Invoice/proof of payment
If the reason of rejection is not related to any of the aforementioned and is an error on the participant’s part, the following will apply:
* Authors: may choose to let their co-author or colleague present his/her research on his/her behalf free of charge. Alternatively, he/she can submit a pre-recorded Video Presentation (Video Presentation guidelines)
* Audience members/Registrants: will only be allowed to attend another similar event of their choosing that is organized by IEREK free of charge.
Please note that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa if needed, by sending an invitation letter, but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Department of Architecture and Regional Planning, Indian Ins..