Reaching a zero-emission and zero-waste urban city design has been one of the most focused topics in the past few decades. Promoting compact energy-efficient urban development, seeking to transform and re-engineer existing city districts and regenerate the post-industrial city center. Green Urbanism promotes the creation and development of beneficial communities and urban cities to both human and the environment.
As the advance of the human society began to demand an increasing demand in energy consumption which in turn affects the world's resources, Green Urbanism attempts to mold sustainable communities and urban cities that would consume less of our Earth's resources. It is interdisciplinary, combining the collaboration of landscape architects, engineers, urban planners, ecologists, transport planners, and other specialists in addition to architects and urban designers.
Green Urbanization of previously existent communities and cities is even more important than the development of new ones, as figuring out ways to reach the optimum state where all around the world, the fear of resources depleting, is non-existent. Not only that, but the preservation of the urban landscape that connects the cultural components, like identity and history with the natural physics of a city, like its geography, water and natural ecology, is of the utmost importance.
In an attempt to give birth to a sustainable city which operated on many levels that includes, public and private spaces designment, circulation, services and presenting a more efficient and maintainable lifestyle, IEREK organizes the 5th edition of the international conference on "Green Urbanism" to help find clear insights to the many levels that are required to achieve the desired balance in urban cities in relation to the ecosystem.
Many challenges and problems are still faced in realizing the balance between urban environment and the ecosystem that surrounds it. Minimizing the usage of energy, water and several other resources are only but a few facing the creation of sustainable green urbanistic cities which is why the Green Urbanism conferences aim to add the concept of sustainability to the available natural resources with the innovative approach to the energy efficiency and providing green solutions to problems that are still faced with many challenges to overcome.
In order to deal with cross-cut issues in architecture and urban design with the goal of addressing the different aspects that are associated with the ways that could be the best and cohesively integrate all the aspects of functionality, and the pressing need for the incorporation of the principles of sustainability into the urban design processes of cities and the general need for sustainable development which will be of particular relevance to the rapid urban growth of developing cities, as well as providing a context for general debate regarding the regeneration of the periphery and city centers as a catalyst for energy and skills, IEREK invites you to participate in this conference to communicate your ideas and knowledge throughout this 3-day content-filled event, the opportunity of networking with experts in the field and sharing experiences is maximized. We invite you to join the journey towards a more sustainable future from 06 – 08 December 2021.
1. Principles of Green Urbanism
The Evolution of Green Urbanism
Formulating the Principles of Green Urbanism
Urban Design for Nature, Conservation of Natural Resources
Passive Designs: Green Buildings for Sustainable Use
Green Districts: Bike, Cycles, and Pedestrians’ Corridors
The Sense of Identity in Green Urban Cities
2. Green Urbanism for a Greener Future
Urban Growth of Developing Cities
City Urban Form and Natural Resources
Landscape, Gardens, Streetscapes, and Urban Biodiversity
Urbanization of Rural Area: Energy, Water, and Food Security
Urban Governance, Leadership, Best Practices, Research, and Awareness
Green Buildings: Technologically Advanced and Environmentally Friendly
3. Green Infrastructure and Sustainable Environment
Green Infrastructure and Social Services
Sustainable Freight Transport and Supply Chains
Strategies of Urban Sustainable Public Transport
Urban Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Sustainable Networks
Innovation and Advancing in Urban Design
Climate Responsive Architecture: Solar Architecture and Renewable Energies
4. Improving and Strengthening the Urban Performance
Regeneration of the City Center and Urban Transit Hubs
Waste Management, Pollution, and Health Risks
Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment
Effects of Sustainable Environments on Human Health
Advancing Solutions towards Zero Waste Cities
Zero-emission and zero-waste urban city design
5. Transformation to Green Environment
Green Initiatives for Sustainable Development
Innovations and Technologies towards Built Environment
Creative Environments: Sustainable Places of Living, Working, and Recreation
Urban Ventilation: Confrontation of Heat Island Effect
International Case Studies: Strategies for New Cities' Proposals in Developing Countries
Sustainably Green Reconstruction and Preservation of Old Cities
Abstract Submissions Deadline
09 Jun 2021
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
09 Jul 2021
Full Paper Submission Deadline
07 Sep 2021
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
07 Oct 2021
Early Payment Deadline
07 Sep 2021
Regular Payment Deadline
07 Oct 2021
Late Payment Deadline
06 Nov 2021
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
07 Oct 2021
Letter of Final Acceptance
07 Oct 2021
06 Nov 2021
06 Dec 2021
Disclaimer: In light of current circumstances and the ongoing pandemic, IEREK is full of hope that the situation shall soon be under control. Thus, the following table regards this as a physical conference (held on-campus) until further notice.
Type of Registration
Deposit (EUR) Online Payment
Remaining Amount (EUR) On Desk Payment
Total Amount Required (EUR) Online Payment
Author fees (ASTI Publishing)
Author Fees (IEREK Press Publishing)
Author Fees (Short Papers – No Publishing)
Short papers (less than 8 pages) will not get published in either IEREK Press Journal or ASTI Book Series by Springer.
Authors could extend their papers after the conference and choose to publish in either option provided. Please see the publishing tab and respective fee.
*Authors may request that their kits be delivered, for an additional fee decided by the courier, and upon request. Alternatively, authors located in Egypt can pick them up from Cairo/ Alexandria office.
Shipping Conference Abstract book and certificate
Depending on Location
Additional Conference Kit (Excluding Delivery)
Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
Each co-author has his/her own separate fees to pay for their contribution and/or attendance.
A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference abstract book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Physical/ On-Campus Conference: (Current Plan)
The ‘Deposit’ column ONLY reserves your physical spot for attending all days of the conference on-campus.
Payment of the ‘Deposit’ allows you to complete the remaining fees from the ‘total amount required’ on-desk during event days.
Online Conference: (Contingency Plan)
The ‘Deposit’ column guarantees your virtual attendance for all days of the conference as a contingency plan and counts as a complete payment in case of an online event.
Loyalty Membership Discounts:
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit, is fraudulent.
The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
Duplicating any content will lead to the paper’s refusal upon the complaint of the plagiarism victim.
Authors are respectfully requested to abide by the following steps/instructions in order to participate in the "Green Urbanism (GU) – 5th edition" international conference and get their papers published...
Step 1: Abstract Submission
- Author (researcher) should submit an abstract file (paper summary) through our online system before the abstract submission deadline.
- Submitted abstract should not exceed 300 words.
- The abstract should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- Abstract file should include the author's full name, email address, academic title and affiliation.
- Abstract file should include Co-authors' full name, email address, academic title and affiliation. (if exist)
- The author can use/download abstract writing template to submit the abstract file accordingly (please download from the link provided below).
Step 2: Abstract Review
- Once abstract is submitted abiding the mentioned instructions, it will be sent to undergo revision process by members of our scientific committee, the author will receive abstract feedback and next step action by email within 2 weeks maximum from abstract submission date.
- Once the abstract is accepted, the author will receive abstract acceptance notification by email stating that the abstract is accepted and to proceed with full/short paper submission.
Step 3: Paper Submission
- The author should submit the full/short paper written on the writing template, through our online system before the paper submission deadline (please download the writing template from the link provided below).
- The full/short paper should be written in English as it's the official language of the conference "Green Urbanism (GU) – 5th edition".
- The full paper file shouldn't exceed 12 pages while short paper shouldn't exceed 5 pages.
- The full paper should state the major issue(s) addressed, the potential significance of the work, the theoretical and methodological approach(es) pursued, major findings, conclusions, implications, and relevant scholarly references.
- The short paper should clearly mention the major issue(s), methodological approach(es), major findings, conclusions, and relevant scholarly references.
- The full/short paper must be relevant to the conference theme and must be original as we don't accept research papers with similarity rate of more than 20%.
Step 4: Paper Elementary Review
- Once the full/short paper is submitted abiding the mentioned instructions, it is assigned for review by the reviewers of scientific committee in aligning with IEREK revision SOP (double-blind process).
- The author will receive paper feedback and next step action by email within 1-month maximum from paper submission date.
Note: In this phase of revision, the research paper will be evaluated based on its originality, structure, and relativity to the conference theme. If the paper gets an acceptance by one reviewer, a paper preliminary acceptance notification will be sent to the author accordingly.
Step 5: Payment
- Once the paper gets accepted, the author will be informed to pay the conferencefeesso that it could be sent to another 2 members of the scientific committee in order to provide the author with comments/notes that could improve the paper and push it to the limits.
- As soon as payment is confirmed and done successfully, corresponding official documents can be issued from our side such as paper acceptance letter and invitation letter.
Step 6: Paper Final Review
- The paper will be sent for review by another 2 members of the scientific committee in aligning with IEREK revision SOP (double-blind process). Reviewers' comments/notes will be forwarded to the author in order to modify the full paper accordingly. Then, send us the final version of the paper.
Instructions of Short Paper Submissions: Authors who like to submit short papers should be informed that the structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements, and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online. A short paper fee doesn’t have a chance to receive any type of discount whatever the authors were previously published with IEREK or the author is one of IEREK’s scientific committee and or a representative of a co-host university. A short paper is only included in the conference Abstracts book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full length paper and pay the requested fee.
After the conference, the submitted manuscripts of authors interested in publishing in the ASTI book series will undergo a rigorous peer review process resulting in a final decision made by the editors. Only accepted research will be published as a chapter in the Book Series entitled “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer. The ASTI Book Series is by managed highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure high-quality material for online publication.
The ASTI Book Series is fully indexed in Scopus. Some titles have been successfully indexed or submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI).
About the ASTI series
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on important emerging research that redefines the current disciplinary boundaries in science, technology and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. It not only discusses the progress made towards securing more resources, allocating smarter solutions, and rebalancing the relationship between nature and people, but also provides in-depth insights from comprehensive research that addresses the 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) as set out by the UN for 2030.
The series draws on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Including interdisciplinary contributions, it presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both economic and sustainable development, through better use of data, more effective institutions, and global, local and individual action, for the welfare of all societies.
The series particularly features conceptual and empirical contributions from various interrelated fields of science, technology and innovation, with an emphasis on digital transformation, that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water and energy security to achieve the SDGs. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues in different regions of the world.
The series is intended for professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with IEREK, the Springer ASTI series will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services. Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals. Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world. As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
Resourceedings by Ierek Press
Publishing in Resourceedings by IEREK Press
Resourceedings is an open-access journal that publishes conference proceedings. Conference proceedings compromise of different disciplines, ranging from Engineering including built environments, architecture, and sustainability. Disciplines also include Technology and Energy. Resourceedings is a journal that publishes research articles that shed light on different crucial issues in order to provide them with solutions and suggestions. The journal publishes articles submitted by researchers of interest in different fields.
Resourceedings welcomes diverse approaches to innovative ideas that could potentially be a breakthrough in a particular field of study. To provide permanent archiving, Resourceedings is archived in the collaborative digital preservation archiving systems in LOCKSS, as they provide access to permanent and authorized digital content for electronic scholarly journals.
In accordance with the definition of open access journal provided by BOAI, Resourceedings is a model of the fully open journal that allows global open access to its content which is freely available without charge to users and institutions. They are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose for non-commercial use, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author.
Sapienza University of Rome
Benefits Of Attending
Since conferences are the places where new science results are typically first presented so, it helps you sharpen the saw, meet experts & influencers face to face, learning in a new space, build your knowledge base, expand your resources and grow your professional network. Yet attending conferences organized by IEREK will not only helps you gain previous benefits but also can be very rewarding on the professional level due to below reasons:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists to exchange and share their experiences and research results on all aspects of smart cities development. Furthermore, you get to converse with other researchers from different universities and countries. You learn from experts in the field. It is a great opportunity to find more about your field and listen to ideas that could help inspire research ideas of your own.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates which will be added to their certificates of experience or could be presented to the official authorities concerned.
3. Publication: The conference proceedings will be published in "Resourceedings" an international journal of science hosted by IEREKPress. High-quality manuscripts based on scientific committee evaluation will be published either in Environmental Sciences & Sustainable Development (ESSD) by IEREKPress or a book series by "Springer".
4. Research Technologies: Conferences also can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research. Moreover, they let you test them out, share teaching tools and techniques, or even obtain samples of textbooks.
5. Networking: Conferences help in networking which often increases your chances of collaboration in future projects. As you can engage with respectable professors and discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles, not to mention the benefits for your C.V as it will create an impression that you are an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Abstracts Material: Delegates will receive the conference Abstracts in both hardcover book and digital format on a CD. The CD will additionally contain materials from previous conferences in this series.
8. Venue: Getting an overview of the place or city where the conference is being held and learning about its people and culture.
9. Indexation: Indexing and Archiving Papers presented at IEREK conferences regularly appear in notable reviews, publications, and databases, including referencing and abstract.
- For participants who need Entry Visas to the country where the conference will be held, IEREKwill issue the corresponding invitation letter for accepted applicants to facilitate visa issuance.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Invitation Letter Issuance Process
1- In case the participant is an author who has submitted a research paper to the conference, it must get accepted by the Scientific Committee
2- Required participation fees must be paid
3- The participant should send the following information to the conference's official email [email protected]
* A clear copy of passport
* Passport number
* Full name as written in your passport.
* Date of Issuing and Expiration
* Date of Birth
* Email address of the nearest Italian Embassy/Consulate to you
* Mobile Number including country code
4- Conference coordinator will issue the needful invitation letter and send a copy to the participant's email, in addition to another one to the corresponding embassy/consulate
5- The participant should print out the invitation letter along with all other required documents by the embassy/consulate and apply for VISA
Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances for any reason will receive refunds according to the following plan and according to the number of days from the start of the event:
Up to 60 days before the event
Up to 50 days before the event
Up to 40 days before the event
39 days before the event
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- All matters have been finalized (accommodation/travel expenses paid for)
- A submitted manuscript is rejected by the editorial board after going through peer review.
*A Rejected manuscript can be enhanced and resubmitted for the following edition and processed free of charge (exclusive of attendance).
Visa Rejection Cases
Reason and proof of rejection must be submitted. If the reason of rejection is due to an error on our part, the participant will be refunded their full fee with a deduction of a 20% administration fee.
Documents to be issued by IEREK to acquire a visa are as follows:
* Final Acceptance Letter for Presentation (Authors only)
* Visa Invitation Letter
* Invoice/proof of payment
If the reason of rejection is not related to any of the aforementioned and is an error on the participant’s part, the following will apply:
* Authors: may choose to let their co-author or colleague present his/her research on his/her behalf free of charge. Alternatively, he/she can submit a pre-recorded Video Presentation (Video Presentation guidelines)
* Audience members/Registrants: will only be allowed to attend another similar event of their choosing that is organized by IEREK free of charge.
Please note that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa if needed, by sending an invitation letter, but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Department of Architecture and Regional Planning, Indian Ins..