An International Conference from the Comfort of Your Own Home!
Due to the uncertainties and restrictions inflicted by the #COVID19 pandemic, and for everyone's safety following the Health Organization's recommendations, it is in everyone's interest to host the conference online. As pioneers of this movement, IEREK is proud to be hosting this conference online. IEREK believes that rather than giving in to this disease and stopping our progress, pushing forward is of utmost importance.
So, how can participating in an international Video Conference boost your career, future potentials, and experience?
Obtain an internationally accredited certification of participation which could boost your future academic career opportunities.
Save costs of travel & accommodation.
Discuss your research paper online with professors, stakeholders, and other authors (Online Oral Presentation).
Make sure that your paper will get the maximum exposure in front of a relevant audience, as we share samples of publications within our weekly newsletter and online platforms.
About the CST 2nd Edition:
From the beginning of time, human movement and settlement patterns were solely dependent on basic human needs such as food, water, and trade. Today, and as we progressed into the 20th and 21st Centuries, these factors continue to influence patterns of the diaspora in different forms and with different motivations such as education, social betterment, and financial restrictions that were all usually coupled with necessity. However, in the contemporary and developed world, essential travel developed into a widespread activity of the masses supported by diverse services. As a leisure activity, according to Appadurai in 2002, Tourism represents an exchange of culture and plays a significant role in understanding the world we live in.
In recent times, the inter-relationships between tourism, culture, and heritage have been the center of discussion among scholars and researchers at both national and international levels. Yet, there remains a need to better comprehend this link existing between culture and natural environment as a way of protecting and re-creating its resources. This link between culture, environment, heritage, society, and economics, known as the inextricable link, forms the basis of sustainable development and tourism. With a current failure to put theory into practice and words into action, there is a persistent need for practical solutions to achieve sustainable tourism.
That's why The 2nd International Conference on "Cultural Sustainable Tourism (CST)" will be held in collaboration with Instituto Universitário da Maia - ISMAI, at Maia of Portugal, from the 13th to the 15th of October 2020.
The International Conference on "Cultural Sustainable Tourism - 2nd Edition" focuses on discussing the complex relations between culture, heritage, sustainability, and tourism. It showcases the different methods and trending strategies for preserving, spreading, and improving cultural and architectural heritage for the following decades. It focuses also on addressing the existing tensions in the assessment of cultural meanings and values to better understand tourism in the context of and in relation to preservation and sustainable development of cultural diversity and heritage resources. Provided that the tourism sector is becoming more and more willing to engage in the sustainable development scheme, key concepts and topics shape this conference’s agenda starting with policy and planning goals, whereby tourism is integrated with different development aims, to issues of structure and governance as well as heritage, sustainability, and biodiversity.
CST-2020 is a platform to spark discussion on emerging research methods on sustainable tourism that draws on integrated methods from many other disciplines such as Economics, Architecture, Geography, Sociology, and Management. It paves the way for researchers, professors, planners, architects, and stakeholders to take part in conveying and spreading awareness of the importance of cultural tourism as well as its development.
Moreover, this international conference avails the opportunity for interested researchers (authors) from around the globe to submit their research papers and get them published in highly-ranked international journals by the esteemed publishers Springer and IEREK Press. Noting that submitted researches must be in the scope of at least one of the official conference topics and abiding the submission instructions.
1. Aspects of a Sustainable Tourism
1.1.Demand for Sustainable Travel and Mobility
1.2.Governmental Role in Maintaining and improving destinations capacity
1.3.Community interaction for Sustainable Tourism
1.4.Development Strategies for Sustainable Tourism
1.5.Integrated Relational Tourism (IRT) as a Tool of Development
2. Policies and Mechanisms for Heritage Preservation
2.1.Heritage Preservation and Green Economy Integration
2.2.Cultural Heritage Diversity and Green Tourism
2.3.Globalization and Heritage Management
2.4.Allocating Cultural Heritage and Environmental Resources, Wealth Conservation, and Management
2.5.Heritage Preservation and Integration in Modern planning
3. User Interaction Based Development
3.1.User-Centered Design and Management for Cultural Heritage
3.2.Heritage Social Role in Sustainable Development
3.3.How Demographic Shifts Affect the Cultural Identity
3.4.Social Development in Public and Cultural Spaces
3.5.Cultural Traditions evolution through the year
4. Social and Economic impacts
4.1.Conservation of Cultural Heritage and Traditional Values
4.2.A Responsible Touristic Approach: Stakeholders and user interaction
4.3.Consumerism and Tourism
4.4.Tourism Sustainability and Economic Efficiency
4.5.Economic Sustainability, Concepts & Impacts
5. Future Prospects and Trends of Tourism
5.1.Digital Technology and E Tourism
5.2.Sustainable Tourism in Protected Areas
5.3.The Effect of Transportation on Tourism development
5.4.Health and Safety Development for Tourism
5.5.Millennials Perception of Destination
6. Sustainable Environment: Geography and Tourism
6.1.Ecotourism: Principles and Regulations
6.2.Natural Resources Management
6.3.Environmental Hazards: Industrialization, Urbanization, and Agricultural
6.4.Heritage in Socio-Economic Sustainable Development
6.5.Geocultural: Effect of Diversity of Places and Culture on Tourism
Benefits Of Attending
Attending conferences is very beneficial, especially, on the professional level; conferences are full of people promoting new ideas which will expand your knowledge and undoubtedly help your career.
Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists to exchange and share their experiences and research results in all fields. Furthermore, you get to converse with other researchers from different universities and countries. You learn from experts in the field. It is a great opportunity to find more about your field and listen to ideas that could help inspire research ideas of your own.
Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates which will be added to their certificates of experience or could be presented to the official authorities concerned.
Publication: The conference proceedings will be published by one of IEREK Press' Journals, either in "Resourceedings" or "ARChive". High-quality manuscripts, based on scientific committee evaluation, will get the chance to be published either in Environmental Sciences & Sustainable Development (ESSD) by IEREK Press or as a book chapter in the ASTI book series by "Springer".
Research Technologies: Conferences also can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research. Moreover, they let you test them out, share teaching tools and techniques, or even obtain samples of textbooks.
Networking: Conferences help in networking which often increases your chances of collaboration in future projects. As you can engage with respectable professors and discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on.
Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles, not to mention the benefits for your C.V as it will show that you are an active member of the academic community.
Conference Proceedings Material: Delegates will have the choice of receiving the conference proceedings as either a hardcover book or in digital format on a CD. The CD will additionally contain proceedings from previous conferences in this series.
Moreover, all conference papers are archived online in the E-Library of IEREK‘s website where they are immediately and permanently available to the international scientific community.
Abstract Submissions Deadline
30 Jun 2020
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
30 Jun 2020
Full Paper Submission Deadline
15 Sep 2020
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
20 Sep 2020
Early Payment Deadline
15 Aug 2020
Regular Payment Deadline
15 Sep 2020
Late Payment Deadline
15 Sep 2020
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
15 Aug 2020
Letter of Final Acceptance
13 Sep 2020
13 Sep 2020
13 Oct 2020
Professor at the University of La Laguna (Tenerife) and Director of University Institute of Social Research and Tourism.
Doctor in Social Anthropology, Professor at the University of the University of La Laguna (Tenerife), Director of the Institute of Social Research and Tourism at the same university. He is founder and director of PASOS. His lines of research are framed in the Anthropology of Tourism, which is shown, since 1983, in 7 books (as sole author or publisher) and in the production of 55 articles in national and international journals (of which 15 in JCR and / or SCOPUS), as well as collaborations with 57 chapters in various scientific books. At 01/14/2018 its h index is 16 and i10 24. He has participated in 18 regional, national and international competitive projects and 36 research contracts in different fields.
Alfonso Vargas Sánchez
Professor of Strategic Management at the University of Huelva, Spain. Editor of "Enlightening Tourism. A Pathmaking Journal".
He is currently also Director of Research at the International Institute for Research and Development of Special Interest Tourism (SITI1) and as a Visiting Professor at York St. John Business School in the United Kingdom. In the academic year 2002/03 he was distinguished with the Diploma of Excellence in Teaching and in 2006/07 with the Prize for Excellence and Quality in Teaching. Its basic research is oriented towards Strategic Management, complemented with application works focused mainly on the strategic management of companies and tourist destinations. He is the editor of the scientific magazine Enlightening Tourism. The Pathmaking Journal.
Norberto Nuno Pinto dos Santos
Director of the Department of Geography and Tourism at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Coimbra.
Currently a Doctor in Human Geography and Full Professor in the Department of Geography and Tourism of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Coimbra. He is also the Coordinator of the Tourism, Heritage, and Territory Group and a member of the Board of Directors of the Center for the Study of Geography and Spatial Planning - CEGOT (Coimbra). He is a Director of the 3rd cycle course (Ph.D.) Tourism, Heritage, and Territory, a Coordinator of the Tourism Section of the Department of Geography and Tourism - FLUC as well as a Manager of the Unesco / Unitwin Chair, Cultural Tourism and Development, at the University of Coimbra.
IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit is fraudulent.
The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
Duplicating any content will lead to the paper’s refusal upon the complaint of the plagiarism victim.
Authors are respectfully requested to abide by the following steps/instructions in order to participate in the international conference "Cultural Sustainable Tourism - 2nd Edition" and get their papers published...
Step 1: Abstract Submission
- The author (researcher) should submit an abstract file (paper summary) through our online system before the abstract submission deadline.
- Submitted abstract should not exceed 300 words.
- Submitted abstract should include the main keywords of the research (3-5 keywords).
- The abstract should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- The author should select the most relevant topic for the paper from the corresponding conference topics.
- The abstract file should be blind (DON'T include author(s) information).
- The author can use/download an abstract writing template to submit the abstract file accordingly.
- Once the abstract is submitted abiding the mentioned instructions, it will be sent to undergo the revision process by members of our scientific committee.
- The criteria for accepting abstracts for the conference are: A relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented, as well as a sound literature and methodology of the work.
- The author will receive abstract feedback and next step action by email within 2 weeks maximum from abstract submission date.
- If the scientific committee's feedback states that the abstract is accepted, the author will receive abstract acceptance notification by email stating that the abstract is accepted and to proceed with full/short paper submission.
Step 3: Paper Submission
There are 2 types of paper submission at this conference:
Short Paper – Consists of 4–5 pages, and suits researches that make significant contributions, but still in progress or can be reported briefly.
Full/Long Paper – The basic standard peer-reviewed paper and consists of 8 - 12 pages.
- The structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online.
- A short paper is only published in the conference proceedings book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full-length paper and pay the corresponding fee.
- The full paper should state the major issue(s) addressed, the potential significance of the work, the theoretical and methodological approach(es) pursued, major findings, conclusions, implications, and relevant scholarly references.
- A full/long paper will get published in the conference proceedings book as well as published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals.
- The author should submit the full/short paper written on the writing template, through our online system before the paper submission deadline.
- The full/short paper should be written in English as it's the official language of the international conference "Cultural Sustainable Tourism (CST) - 2nd Edition".
Step 4: Paper Elementary Review
- Once the full/short paper is submitted abiding the mentioned instructions, it is assigned for review by the reviewers of the scientific committee in aligning with IEREK revision SOP (double-blind process).
- The author will receive paper feedback and next step action by email within a 1-month maximum from paper submission date.
Note: In this phase of revision, the research paper will be evaluated based on its originality, structure, and relativity to the conference theme. If the paper gets an acceptance by one reviewer, a paper preliminary acceptance notification will be sent to the author accordingly.
Step 5: Payment
- Once the paper gets accepted, the author will be informed to pay the conferencefees so that it could be sent to another 2 members of the scientific committee in order to provide the author with comments/notes that could improve the paper and push it to the limits.
- As soon as payment is confirmed and done successfully, corresponding official documents can be issued from our end such as paper acceptance letter and invitation letter.
Step 6: Paper Final Review
- The paper will be sent for review by another 2 members of the scientific committee in aligning with IEREK revision SOP (double-blind process). Reviewers' comments/notes will be forwarded to the author in order to modify the full paper accordingly. Then, send us the final version of the paper.
All accepted papers of the international conference "Cultural Sustainable Tourism (CST) - 2nd Edition" after the peer-review process will be either published as chapters in the Book Series “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation (ASTI)” by Springer OR in The International Journal of Academic Research Community Publication (ARChive) by IEREK Press.
- To publish your research in ASTI or ARChive, and provide it with world-wide visibility, authors must submit a full/long paper that's 10 -12 pages long or extend their short-paper.
- Only authors of accepted papers who will register & submit a paper before the deadline of 15 July 2020 will be allowed to present during the conference sessions (see Important Dates and Conference Fees).
"ASTI" Book Series:
- The "ASTI" Book Series by Springer is edited & operated by highly-professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure a high-quality publication material to be eventually published online and printable.
- The ASTI Book Series will be submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI), EI-Compendex, and Scopus databases.
- Only selected papers (Based on reviewing the committee's evaluation) will get the chance to be published in the "ASTI" Book Series by Springer. The authors will be notified by email accordingly.
- ARChive is an open-access international journal that publishes conference proceedings in a wide range of topics and across all scientific disciplines, from Sciences, Engineering and Technology to Environment, Energy and Earth Sciences.
- The "ARChive" International Journal by IEREK Press is edited & operated by highly-professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure a high-quality publication material.
- Accepted papers (Based on the reviewing committee's feedback) will get published in an issue of the "ARChive" International Journal. The authors will be notified by email accordingly.
Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation Book Series IEREK Series for Interdisciplinary Studies
- On 10 May 1842 (his 25th birthday), Julius Springer founded his bookstore and publishing house in Berlin, laying the foundation for today’s company.
- After 175 dynamic years, the name Springer stands for a globally active publisher dedicated to the advancement of science, putting its authors and editors at the heart of the company’s publishing activities.
- Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services.
- Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals.
- Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world.
- As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
About the Series:
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on the best studies on emerging research that redefines existing disciplinary boundaries in science, technology, and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. The series is mainly based on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences or direct submissions and is intended to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Offering interdisciplinary coverage, the series presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both the economic and sustainable development for the welfare of all societies. In particular, the series includes conceptual and empirical contributions from different interrelated fields of science, technology, and innovation that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water, and energy security. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues. The series is addressed to professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with Springer, the IEREK Interdisciplinary Series for Sustainable Development will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Publishing your paper with a reputable and renowned publisher is necessary to maintain the high quality standards of the scientific process along with retaining your copyright. It is even more advantageous to increase the exposure of your paper to the rest of the scientific community either online, offline, or in both versions.
All of the papers present in the book either belong to the best research papers in IEREK’s conferences or the authors’ direct submissions.Fees for direct submission: - The revision process: 200$ (nonrefundable)- Once the paper is accepted and approved: 200$.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
- Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
- Each co-author (1-5 max) has his/her own separate fees to pay as shown in a table below.
- A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference proceedings book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Loyalty Membership Discounts
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants with the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
*The aforementioned discounts are only applicable during Regular and Late Payment times. For more information, please refer to 'Important Dates'.
Online Conference attendance
Held online from the comfort of your own home, the fees below guarantee your virtual attendance for all days of the conference date above
Physical Conference (TBA)
Full of hope that the current crisis will pass, a physical version of the conference will be held at a later date for an additional physical attendance fee for all participants.
Attendance (authors and audience members)
*Authors may request that their kits be delivered, for an additional fee decided by the courier, and upon request. Alternatively, authors located in Egypt can pick them up from Cairo/ Alexandria office.
Shipping Conference Abstract book and certificate
Depending on Location
Additional Conference Kit (Excluding Delivery)
Partners & Sponsors
As the saying goes,
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much
Thus, IEREK would like to thank all the following esteemed partners & Sponsors for their cooperation and support which pushes this international event to the limit...
Instituto Universitário da Maia - ISMAI (Official Partner & Organizer)
ISMAI - Instituto Universitário da Maia is an institute of higher education formed in 1990 in Maia, Portugal to provide excellence in student training in diverse scientific, technical and cultural fields so as to prepare them to active working life and also to motivate them towards innovation and development.
Centro Estudos Desenvolvimento Turístico (Official Partner & Organizer)
The CENTER FOR TOURISM DEVELOPMENT STUDIES asserts itself as an aggregating node of researchers from diverse disciplinary areas, whose approaches complement each other in the analysis of the dialectical relationship between the tourism phenomenon and the biophysical and socioeconomic processes, from the local scale to the global scale.
- For the purpose of oral presentation, authors should use the PowerPoint template that will be available for download within this section on September 01, 2020.
- Moreover, please take into consideration that the presentation should not exceed 15 minutes, which is the time assigned for each research presentation.
- Eventually, the author should deliver the presentation as an attachment to the conference's official email email@example.com before the deadline on October 01, 2020.
Between Present and Past: Shaping Contemporary Culture, Class and Identity through Imagery Duration: Monday 12 – Friday 16 October, 2020 (5-day workshop)
One of today’s most affordable and prominent form of art is photography. The evolution of photography over the years can now be seen in methods of digital manipulation and post production. However, new ways of thinking and approaches to this medium have resulted in a contribution more significant than ever. With the ‘concept’ in mind, a more meaningful debate is generated among the wider photographic community and general public. It could be reason to provide a voice for those lacking power or perhaps shed a light on a current issue that deserves attention. Through photography, a new definition of visual culture can be generated.
Similarly, and from an anthropological point of view, a visual image can embody the identity of a person, a group or a place through a combination of objective techniques and artistic practices. By viewing its landscapes, villages, traditions and practices, one could gain insight into a nation through the created imagery of a defined place. By presenting the habits, routines and styles of people, the breadth of identity, class, culture and even patterns of a place can be explored in photographs.
Held in Parallel to IEREK’s Second Edition of the International Conference on Cultural Sustainable Tourism (CST), this intensive 5-day workshop facilitates an exploration of the different ways contemporary photography can contribute to the visualization and portrayal of cultural identity and class.
Workshop Objectives: A Case Study
Using a case study to be introduced, the workshop introduces advanced technical aspects of photography as well as the use of different elements and post-production techniques to develop a project that focuses on the shaping of contemporary culture and its relation to cultural heritage as well as the identity of a place, Portugal, and how they can be visually represented.
Topics/ Deliverables include
Photography and Visual Culture
Advanced photographic planning and technique
Meaningful Photography: War, Family, Art and Activism
Contemporary Debates and Creative Enquiry
Redefining the Medium
Photography and Cultural Heritage
Post production and image optimization for publishing
Rights and Display
This 5-day workshop provides an intensive program through the delivery of lectures, stimulation of fruitful discussions, and
Please note that this program is intensive and consists of a 5-day workweek, Monday through Friday. During non-classroom hours (2 – 3 hours each day) students will be expected to be researching and then scouting and/or photographing (fieldwork). Photographic work will be reviewed during group critiques/ tutorials with the instructor(s).
Participants will be expected to bring with them: a) a camera with manual override settings b) a Laptop c) Software: Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop light room etc. d) A passion for photography
Students will be expected to manually operate a camera and have basic editing knowledge.
Language of Instruction
Fernando Faria Paulino, University Institute of Maia - ISMAI · Department of Communication Sciences and Information Technologies, Portugal.
Bio: Fernando Faria Paulino, has earned a PhD in Anthropology (specializing in Visual Anthropology). He is currently an Assistant Professor at the University Institute of Maia (ISMAI), in the Department of Communication Sciences and Information Technology (in the areas of audiovisual communication, multimedia communication, visual semiotics, documentary film, hypermedia and photography), an integrated researcher at CITEI Research Centre in Technologies and Intermedia Studies, and a lead researcher at CIAC Centre for Research in Arts and Communication / University of Algarve. He is the Coordinator of the Undergraduate Degree in Multimedia Communication Technology at the University Institute of Maia, the Coordinator of the CLM Multimedia Lab Center at ISMAI, as well as the Coordinator of LabCCCom Communication Sciences Center, a Multiplatform Audiovisual Studio at ISMAI. In addition, he is a Visiting Professor at the University of Murcia and at the University of Cape Verde.