A smart city is one that uses information and communication technologies with the aim of increasing operational efficiency, sharing information with the public, and improving not only the quality of government services but also the citizens' well-being. Its mission is to optimize city functions which in turn drive economic growth which results in improving the citizens' quality of life by using smart technology. As a result, raising awareness of the benefits of building a smart city should be promoted and implemented globally.
IEREK is organizing the 3rd international conference on "Future Smart Cities" in collaboration with XiamenUniversity in Sepang, Malaysia, where the city has a promising potential of transformation to be smarter.
Furthermore, a huge number of researchers and stakeholders are interested to discuss how building smart cities foster sustainability and what are the challenges and concerns that should be considered while investing in the services and infrastructure supporting the city to be more livable.
The term ‘smart city’ is given to a city that integrates both information and communication technologies (ICT) in order to boost the quality and performance of urban services which include energy, transportation and utilities. Hence, reducing resource consumption, wastage, and overall costs in general. To sum it up, the main aim of a smart city is to enhance the quality of living for its citizens through smart technology. Proposals and researches, therefore, are requested to discuss the new proposals of future cities, as well as the transformation of our cities to be in the scope.
Decision makers, citizens, researchers, universities, companies and planners are all invited to discuss this theme further and to maximize the benefits of the conference and get a successful proposal to the future smart city.
Selected papers from this conference will be published in a Book Series "Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation"(ASTI) by Springer or in The International Journal of Proceedings of Science and Technology (Resourceedings) online by IEREK Press.
1. Importance of Building Sustainable Smart Cities
Understanding the Significance of Building Sustainable Smart Cities
Creating Spaces for Technological, Social, and Business Development Through the Development of Smart Cities
Security Enhancements from Building Smart Cities
Environmental Benefits of Implementing Smart City Solutions
The Well-being Benefits of Green Buildings in Smart Cities
2. Computational Advancements in Future Smart Cities
Big Analysis Data Impact on Smart Cities
Role of Technology in Sustainable Development
The Future of Cloud Computing
Tendencies of Technologies and Platforms in Smart Cities
Smart Home Management System
3. Energy Efficiency in Smart Cities
Renewable Energy and its Efficiency in Smart Cities
Energy Efficiency and how it affects the Future of Urban Housing
The Role of Smart Grids in Developing Sustainable Building Design
Opportunities for Energy Efficiency in Smart Cities
Developing Energy Efficiency Optimization Methods
4. Key Components for Developing Smart Cities
Concept of Interoperability as a Key to the Emerging Smart City
Water-Efficient Infrastructure and Energy Conservation in Smart Cities
Trends of Smart Transportation: Smart Parking and Traffic Management
Technologies to Improve Emergency Management
Development of Public-Private Partnerships for Sustainable Development
5. Challenges in Implementing Smart Cities
Building the Infrastructure of a Smart City
Revolutionizing Communications for Accurate Service Delivery in Smart Cities
Data Security in Smart Cities: Challenges and Solutions
Smart City Infrastructure Development Monitoring
Smart Healthcare, & Emergency management.
Benefits Of Attending
Attending conferences is very beneficial, especially, on the professional level; conferences are full of people promoting new ideas which will expand your knowledge and undoubtedly help your career.
Open Discussions:We bring together leading academic scientists to exchange and share their experiences and research results in all fields. Furthermore, you get to converse with other researchers from different universities and countries. You learn from experts in the field. It is a great opportunity to find more about your field and listen to ideas that could help inspire research ideas of your own.
Internationally Accredited Certificate:The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates which will be added to their certificates of experience or could be presented to the official authorities concerned.
Publication: The conference proceedings will be published by one of IEREK Press' Journals, either in "Resourceedings" or "ARChive". High-quality manuscripts, based on scientific committee evaluation, will get the chance to be published either in Environmental Sciences & Sustainable Development (ESSD) by IEREK Press or as a book chapter in the ASTI book series by "Springer".
Research Technologies:Conferences also can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research. Moreover, they let you test them out, share teaching tools and techniques, or even obtain samples of textbooks.
Networking:Conferences help in networking which often increases your chances of collaboration in future projects. As you can engage with respectable professors and discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on.
Academic Reputation:Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles, not to mention the benefits for your C.V as it will show that you are an active member of the academic community.
Conference Proceedings Material:Delegates will have the choice of receiving the conference proceedings as either a hardcover book or in digital format on a CD. The CD will additionally contain proceedings from previous conferences in this series.
Venue:Getting an overview of the place or city where the conference is being held and learning about its people and culture.
Moreover, all conference papers are archived online in the E-Library of IEREK‘s website where they are immediately and permanently available to the international scientific community.
Abstract Submissions Deadline
13 May 2020
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
12 Jun 2020
Full Paper Submission Deadline
11 Aug 2020
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
10 Sep 2020
Early Payment Deadline
11 Aug 2020
Regular Payment Deadline
10 Sep 2020
Late Payment Deadline
10 Oct 2020
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
10 Sep 2020
Letter of Final Acceptance
10 Sep 2020
10 Oct 2020
09 Nov 2020
Xiamen University, Sepang, Malaysia
- Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
- Each co-author (1-5 max) has his/her own separate fees to pay as shown in a table below.
- A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference proceedings book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Loyalty Membership Discounts
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants with the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
*The aforementioned discounts are only applicable during Regular and Late Payment times. For more information, please refer to 'Important Dates'.
Author Fees (for Short Paper)
Author fees for Early Payment
Author fees for Regular Payment
Author fees for Late Payment
Author Fees (for Long Paper)
Author fees for Early Payment
Author fees for Regular Payment
Author fees for Late Payment
Regular Attendance Fees
Fees for Audiences (Co-authors & Audience Members)
Fees for NON-Attending Co-Authors
Extra Fees (upon request)
Additional Conference Book (Hard copy + CD)
*In addition to 1 free copy gifted to main authors during the event.
Springer/Journal Publication (Extended Paper)
*In cases of selection/consideration for publication, short papers must be extended and the additional payment, for extension, completed.
Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances will receive refunds according to the following plan:
Up to 60 days before the event
Up to 50 days before the event
Up to 40 days before the event
39 days before the event
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- All matters have been finalized (accommodation/travel expenses paid for)
Visa Rejection Cases
Reason and proof of rejection must be submitted. If the reason for rejection is due to an error on our part, the participant will be refunded their full fee with a deduction of a 20% administration fee.
Documents to be issued by IEREK to acquire a visa are as follows:
* Final Acceptance Letter (Authors only)
* Visa Invitation Letter
* Invoice/proof of payment
We encourage all authors and attendees to ensure their having acquired all documents (those applicable) mentioned.
If the reason for rejection is not related to any of the aforementioned and is an error on the participant’s part, the following will apply:
* Authors: may choose to let their co-author present his/her research on his/her behalf free of charge. If the author does not have a co-author, a member of the scientific committee shall present on the author’s behalf.
* Audience members/Registrants: will only be allowed to attend another similar event of their choosing that is organized by IEREK free of charge.
All accepted papers of the second Future Smart Cities (3rd FSC) after the peer-review process will get a chance to be published as chapters in the Book Series “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer or in The International Journal of Academic Research Community Publication (Resourceedings) online by IEREK Press.
To publish your research in the online Journal or Book by 'Springer' and provide it with world-wide visibility, authors must submit an extended version of their short papers that are 10 -12 pages long.
ASTI Book Series by Springer is by highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure a high-quality publication material to be eventually published online and printable.
The ASTI Book Series will be submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI), EI-Compendex, and Scopus databases.
If you are not sure whether you or one of your co-authors will be able to attend the conference, you should bear in mind that there is a fee to be paid for Audiences (Co-authors, Learners, and Interests). The accepted paper will not be included in the conference proceedings without paying the fee (see Conference Fees for more details). A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference proceedings book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.Note that only authors of accepted papers who will register before the deadline will be allowed to present during the conference sessions (see Important Dates and Conference Fees).
The proceedings of the Future Smart Cities (3rd FSC) will consist many sections (or Parts), each edited by a group of highly esteemed Professors.
For IEREK's Provious Publications, Please Click here
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) Series.
Resilient and Responsible Smart Cities.
(Selected Papers) Publication link: In Progress
Once an abstract has been submitted to our website, it is assigned for review by the reviewers using the abstract review sheet and validation of publication. This is based on four criteria:
1. Accepted for publication (with minor editing changes).
2. Conditionally accepted for publication (with revisions provided to authors).
3. Rejected but encouraged for re-submission with major modifications.
4. Rejected as inappropriate or unworthy of publication in this certain conference.
The criteria for accepting abstracts for the conference are as follows; a relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented, as well as a sound literature and methodology of the work.
Authors will receive a notification message to know the feedback of the reviewers' committee. If an author receives the acceptance of his or her abstract, he or she has to continue writing the full-length paper using the requested templates.
Uploading Full-Length Paper:
Authors who are allowed to upload their full-length paper(s) should use the same account details to upload their full paper(s).
The final paper will proceed to the primary revision to be checked if it meets the conference proceedings standards. Once it gets accepted, the author of the paper will be informed to pay the fees so that it could be sent for the final revision by the scientific committee.
In this step, and to proceed paper(s) that passed to the final revision process and to get the final approval, authors have to pay the requested fees. Otherwise, the final revision process will not be considered for their papers.
Inspections and Final Approval of Full Papers:
Those with full papers and who have paid the requested fees will get finally inspected, either scientifically or linguistically. There will be a rigorous review process of full papers following the previous process according to the following criteria:
(1) Is the topic relevant to the conference?
(2) Are the writing and structure clear?
(3) Are graphics, photos, illustrations used where needed?
(4) Are the aims of the study clearly stated?
(5) Are the objectives of the study achieved?
(6) Is the literature review relevant and adequate?
(7) Has the author used an appropriate methodology and has it been clearly explained?
(8) Has the author interpreted the findings correctly?
(9) Is the paper a significant contribution to the field?
These are the registration and revision procedures for publication that all authors should follow.
Instructions of Short Paper Submissions: Authors whom like to submit short papers should be informed that the structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online. A short paper fee doesn’t have a chance to receive any type of discount whatever the authors was previously published with IEREK or the author is one of IEREK’s scientific committee and or a representative of a co- host university. A short paper is only published in the conference proceedings book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full length paper and pay the requested fee.
To download the writing template for a Short paper, Click here
- Abstracts should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- After you have received the acceptance of your abstract, please continue to write your full paper with the requested template (please download from the link provided below).
Final acceptance will be based on the full-length paper. For publication, the accepted papers must be presented at the conference.
- Writing Templates: Authors are strongly encouraged to use the formatting style described below for submitting an abstract as this format is required for the full paper.
- English will be the official language of the conference " Future Smart Cities (FSC) - 3rd Edition "
To download the writing template for a full-length paper, Click hereAbstract and full paper submission instructions, Click here
- IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit is fraudulent.
- The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
- Duplicating any content, even if it is one sentence or one table without the consent of its original Author, will lead to the paper’s refusal upon the complaint of the plagiarism victim.
- For participants who need Entry Visas to the country where the conference will be held, IEREKwill issue the corresponding invitation letter for accepted applicants to facilitate visa issuance.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Invitation Letter Issuance Process
1- In case the participant is an author who has submitted a research paper to the conference, it must get accepted by the Scientific Committee
2- Required participation fees must be paid
3- The participant should send the following information to the conference's official email:
* A clear copy of passport
* Passport number
* Full name as written in your passport.
* Date of Issuing and Expiration
* Date of Birth
* Email address of the nearest Portugal Embassy/Consulate to you
* Mobile Number including country code
4- Conference coordinator will issue the needful invitation letter and send a copy to the participant's email, in addition to another one to the corresponding email address of embassy/consulate
5- The participant should print out the invitation letter along with all other required documents by the embassy/consulate and apply for VISA
Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation Book Series IEREK Series for Interdisciplinary Studies
- On 10 May 1842 (his 25th birthday), Julius Springer founded his bookstore and publishing house in Berlin, laying the foundation for today’s company.
- After 175 dynamic years, the name Springer stands for a globally active publisher dedicated to the advancement of science, putting its authors and editors at the heart of the company’s publishing activities.
- Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services.
- Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals.
- Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world.
- As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
About the Series:
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on the best studies on emerging research that redefines existing disciplinary boundaries in science, technology, and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. The series is mainly based on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences or direct submissions and is intended to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Offering interdisciplinary coverage, the series presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both the economic and sustainable development for the welfare of all societies. In particular, the series includes conceptual and empirical contributions from different interrelated fields of science, technology, and innovation that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water, and energy security. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues. The series is addressed to professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with Springer, the IEREK Interdisciplinary Series for Sustainable Development will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Publishing your paper with a reputable and renowned publisher is necessary to maintain the high quality standards of the scientific process along with retaining your copyright. It is even more advantageous to increase the exposure of your paper to the rest of the scientific community either online, offline, or in both versions.
All of the papers present in the book either belong to the best research papers in IEREK’s conferences or the authors’ direct submissions.Fees for direct submission: - The revision process: 200$ (nonrefundable)- Once the paper is accepted and approved: 200$.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
Your Trip To Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur is the capital city of Malaysia, boasting gleaming skyscrapers, colonial architecture, charming locals, and a myriad of natural attractions.
The following are some suggestions of places to visit while you are in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
1. Petronas Twin Towers
Situated in the heart of the city where large corporate organizations conduct their businesses, the Petronas Twin Towers are known locally as Rocket Twin Towers and Jagung Kembar (meaning Twin Corns). The towers stand at 88 storeys high and have made big impressions on the city's skyline since their existence about two decades ago. The two towers are connected by a double storey Skybridge on the 41st and 42nd floors.
2. Suria KLCC
The Suria KLCC Shopping Complex lies at the feet of the Petronas Towers. (KLCC stands for Kuala Lumpur City Centre). It is one of the largest shopping malls in Malaysia, with many luxury shops, boutiques and food courts. The attractions in this six-storey complex include the Petronas Philharmonic Hall, Petrosains Science Discovery Centre, Petronas Art Gallery and the Aquaria Oceanarium.
3. Central Market
The Central Market building was built in 1888 and started off as a wet market. It has been renovated and is now a heritage site and landmark in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Kasturi Walk is the lane next to Central Market, this place is also known as Chinatown. There are many stalls in the area selling a variety of handicrafts, artworks, clothings, shoes, accessories, Malaysian batiks, souvenirs and food stalls.
4. Thean Hou Temple
This impressive Buddhist and Toaist temple was built by the Hainanese community in Malaysia and opened in 1989. The temple is dedicated to the Goddess Tian Hou (Queen of Heaven). The design of the temple has a combination of modern and traditional styles with multi-levelled of function halls.
5. Royal Selangor Visitor Centre
Royal Selangor is the world's largest maker of pewter. Visitors and collectors of pewter can find precious pewter items, gifts, drinkwares, tablewares, ornaments and souvenirs at Royal Selangor which is renowned for its exquisite craftsmanship and designs in pewter. The School of Hard Knocks workshop at the centre teaches visitors to make their own souvenir plate using traditional tools.
Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Address: Kuala Lumpur International Airport, 64000 Sepang, Selangor, Malaysia