Conference Program has been announced
- 11 May / 13 May 2017
- Cairo, Egypt
Cities’ Identity became a pressing issue for many countries nowadays. Every city has its unique and valuable identity, this identity is revealed through its physical and visual form, it is seen through the eyes of its residents and citizens. The city develops over time, and its identity evolves with it. Reflecting the rapid and constant changes the city is subjected to, Architecture and Arts are the embodiment of the cultural, historical, and economical characteristics of the city.Urban Identities: the conference will present & discuss examples and tendencies in dealing with urban identities as well as the transformation of cities and urban cultures mentioned in terms of their form, identity, and their current art.
Contemporary art when subjected to experiments, continues to be produced in various directions, to be consumed and to put forward new ideas. Art continuously renews itself -from new materials to different means of communication, from interactive works to computer games, from new approaches to perceptional paradigms and problems of city and nature of the millennium.
This conference is dedicated to the investigation of the different new approaches developed in Architecture and Contemporary arts. It will focus on the basis of urban life and identities. The Conference also will display how citizens look at their city and how it is in a physical or mental manner compared, by them, with the ideal city by their own perception. Moreover, the city’s identity presents distinctive aspects that clarify its uniqueness and distinguished from any other city.
IEREK aims with this conference to offer the researches from different perspectives and views how Architecture and Contemporary arts are developed. Also, IEREK aims to emphasize on the basis of urban development and identities as well as investigate the various approaches made in the field of both Architecture and Contemporary Arts.
he Conference will be held in a Venue that combines both Architecture and Contemporary Arts, the Cairo Opera House in Cairo, Egypt.
Architectural Identity and Globalization.
• Artistic Heritage and its Impact on Contemporary Arts.
• Art and Cultural Identity.
• The Correlation Between Architecture and Arts.
• Artistic Identity in Globalization Context.
• Architecture and Arts in Cultural Transformation Age.
• Planning and Development for Maintaining and Reviving the Historical Areas.
• Analysis of the city’s Planning and Aesthetics Design (Morphology -Spaces and Aesthetics).
City as a Scene.
• Urban Form and Art.
• The City’s Image and Self-Identity.
• Spaces in Contemporary Arts.
• Landscape in History and Arts.
• The Importance of the City and its Users.
• Religion and Culture: Creating Cities.
City as organism.
• Urban Growth and Controlling Urban Sprawl.
• Urban Morphology and Urban Regeneration.
• Slums and Urban Fringe Belts.
• Urban Aesthetics and New Developments in Urban Design.
City as a Subject.
• Cities and their Psychology.
• Contemporary Art in Modern and Historical cities.
• Re-Imagining Cities.
• History of Future Cities, & the Future of Historical Cities.
• Retrofitting of historical buildings.
• Human Interaction& Experience with the City.
• Culture Tradition, & History: Developing Cities.
Planning & Approaching the City.
• Cities & Sustainable Transformations.
• Smart & Future Cities.
• Urban Morphology: Shaping the City and its Culture.
• Ideologies & Movements: Shaping the City and its History.
• Multicultural and Interdisciplinary Approaches.
• Conservation of Architectural and Historical Cities.
• Policies & Guidelines and how Communities are developed.
Since conferences are the places where new science results are typically first presented, attending conferences organized by IEREK can be very rewarding due to below reasons:
- Open Discussions: You not only get to hear presentations but also converse with other researchers from different universities and even countries you may have only heard or read about.
- Venue: Getting an overview of the place or city where the conference is being held and learning about its people and culture.
- Research Technologies: Conferences also can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research. Moreover, they let you test them out, share teaching tools and techniques, or even obtain samples of textbooks.
- Networking: Conferences help in networking which often increases your chances of collaboration in future projects.
- Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles, not to mention the benefits for your C.V as it will create an impression that you are an active member of the academic community.
- Conference Proceedings Material: Delegates will have the choice of receiving the conference proceedings as either a hard cover book or in digital format on a USB flash drive. The USB flash drive will additionally contain proceedings from previous conferences in this series.
- Publications: Indexing and Archiving Papers presented at IEREK conferences regularly appear in notable reviews, publications and databases, including referencing and abstract.
- IEREK Press: All conference papers are archived online in the IEREK Journal while journal participants can attend after the conference to submit an enhanced version of their research for possible publication at our online journal.
Once an abstract is submitted, it will be sent to the reviewers committee to go through the revision process:
- Elementary Review:
Once an abstract has been submitted to our website, it is assigned for review by the reviewers using the abstract review sheet and validation of publication. This is based on four criteria:
· Accepted for publication (with minor editing changes).
· Conditionally accepted for publication (with revisions provided to authors).
· Rejected but encouraged for re-submission with major modifications.
· Rejected as inappropriate or unworthy of publication in this certain conference.
The criteria for accepting abstracts for the conference are as follows; a relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented, as well as a sound literature and methodology of the work.
- First Acceptance:
Authors will receive a notification message to know the feedback of the reviewers committee. If an author receives the acceptance of his or her abstract, he or she has to continue writing the full-length paper using the requested templates.
- Uploading Full-Length Paper:
Authors who are allowed to upload their full-length paper(s) should use the same account details to upload their full paper(s).
- Second Acceptance:
The final paper will proceed to the primary revision to be checked if it meets the conference proceedings standards. Once it gets accepted, the author of the paper will be informed to pay the fees so that it could be sent for the final revision by the scientific committee.
In this step, and to proceed paper(s) that passed to the final revision process and to get the final approval, authors have to pay the requested fees. Otherwise, the final revision process will not be considered for their papers.
- Inspections and Final Approval of Full Papers:
Those with full papers and who have paid the requested fees will get finally inspected, either scientifically or linguistically. There will be a rigorous review process of full papers following the previous process according to the following criteria:
(1) Is the topic relevant to the conference?
(2) Is the writing and structure clear?
(3) Are graphics, photos, illustrations used where needed?
(4) Are the aims of the study clearly stated?
(5) Are the objectives of the study achieved?
(6) Is the literature review relevant and adequate?
(7) Has the author used an appropriate methodology and has it been clearly explained?
(8) Has the author interpreted the findings correctly?
(9) Is the paper a significant contribution to the field?
These are the registration and revision procedures for publication that all authors should follow.
Moreover, their papers being published by CRC Press / Balkema of Taylor and Francis Group can be added to their certificates of experience and can be presented to the official authorities concerned.
- Authors may choose to publish their manuscript in IEREK press’s journal “ARChive” with EGP 300 for Egyptians and $50 for Non-Egyptians authors, under the condition that the paper is composed of 8 to 12 pages.
- For authors who prefer to publish in Routledge – CRC, the manuscript should only be 6 + 1 pages long, 6 pages of content and 1 references page. Each additional page will cost $20 USD.
Meet Professor Nabil Khélifi, Senior Publishing Editor of Springer, the publishing manager of the Middle East & North Africa Program.
Professor Khélifi will moderate and hold a special session at the International Conference on Cities Identity Through Architecture and Arts (CITAA) 11 – 13 May, 2017, including a lecture on publishing ethics and a round table discussion between all keynote speakers and those interested.
The session is FREE for all conference participants and 200 EGP for non-participants.
Conference’s participants from around the world may use below location from google maps to get the right directions to the Fairmont Nile City Hotel
|Date From||Date To||Notes|
|Abstract Submission Deadline||November 15, 2016|
|Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance||November 25, 2016||Acceptance is issued once a positive feedback is received from the reviewing committee.|
|Full Paper Submission Deadline||February 15, 2017|
|Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance||April 15, 2017|
|Early Payment Deadline||February 20, 2017||Late payment fees are mandatory after this date.|
|Late Payment Deadline||March 20, 2017|
|Conference Program||April 10, 2017|
|Conference Launch||May 11, 2017||May 13, 2017|
- Each research paper should have at least one main author who should pay the full fees (Author’s fees + Publication Fees), even if the main author is a Master’s or a PhD candidate, and even if the author won’t be able to attend the conference.
- These fees include the registration of only one author to the conference. (As shown in the table, row 1, for the early payment or row 2 for normal payment)
- A research paper fees allow only one author, whether he is the corresponding author or any co- author to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference book in both hard and soft copy (a Printed book + a CD)
- In case of there are co- authors (1-5 maximum) Each Co-Author has to pay the specified fees (As shown in the table, row 4) without attending. In case of one or more of these author need to attend the conference, they should complete the fees to attend as audience (Shown in the table, row 5)
- Conference book will include a collective summary of (abstracts- conference program- PowerPoint presentations).
- In case students or interested audience want to attend the conference without presenting a paper, they must pay the specified fees. (As shown in the table, row 5).
Cancellations / Refunds
- Delegates who cancel their registration due to special circumstances less than 60 days before the start of the conference and do not have a paper published in the proceedings will receive a complete refund minus a $100 administration charge. . If the acceptance letter was sent, then this means that proceedings book is already in the publishing process, which means the fees cannot be refunded.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa (if needed), by sending an invitation letter, but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
- Cancellation or withdrawal of a paper or an abstract from our system after it has been revised and receiving its accepted has a penalty to be paid, in case of either previous payment or not, $50 for the abstract and $150 for the full paper, or EGP 200 for the Abstract and EGP 700 for the Full Paper for Egyptian, before its delegation.
|1. Fees for Authors (Early booking Before February 20, 2017)||$ 300 Expired|
|2. Fees for Authors (Standard Booking from Feb 20 to Mar 20, 2017)||$ 400|
|3. Fees for publication online||$ 100|
|4. Fees for Non Attending Co-Author (1st-5th)||$ 50|
|5. Fees for Audiences / Students / Listeners / Attending Co-Author||$ 300|
|6. Late Payment, added value to standard fees (After March 20, 2017)||$ 100|
|1. Fees for Authors (Early booking Before February 20, 2017)||EGP 1200 Expired|
|2. Fees for Authors (Standard Booking from Feb 20 to Mar 20, 2017)||EGP 1500|
|3. Fees for publication online||$ 100|
|4. Fees for Non Attending Co-Author (1st-5th)||EGP 500|
|5. Fees for Audiences / Students / Listeners / Attending Co-Author||EGP 800|
|6. Late Payment, added value to standard fees (After March 20, 2017)||EGP 500|
- Once an acceptance letter has been issued, this means that the proceedings book is already in the publishing process and a refund will not be possible.
- In case your visa got rejected or if you were not able to get a security clearance for travel:
- You are required to provide us with the rejection letter from the embassy/consulate or the office responsible for security clearances and in that case, you may choose to let your co-author present your research on your behalf free of charge, without having to pay an attendance fee. If you do not have a co-author, we will assign a member of the scientific committee to present on your behalf.
- If you, as an author, and your co-author are both attending the conference, your co-author will be required to pay an attendance fee.
- Kindly note that once you have uploaded your Abstract or Full Paper, this means you are accepting its publishing on IEREK, accordingly, your submission will only be removed from our website according to the following policy:
- If the Abstract or Full Paper was rejected by the reviewing committee, no penalties or payments are needed to be paid.
- In case the Abstract was accepted or you received the Preliminary Acceptance of your full paper, this means that an effort was done by the reviewing committee in the revision process and by IEREK staff members so removal of your Abstract / Paper from the website, will not be possible unless the revision fees are paid as follows:
- For an Abstract: $50
- For a Full Paper: $150
For Egyptians who wish to withdraw an Abstract or Full Paper, the revision fees are paid as follows:
- For an Abstract: EGP 200
- For a Full Paper: EGP 700
- This policy is used to ensure the commitment and the seriousness of an author when his/ her paper is accepted to complete his/her registration and not be limited to only getting the acceptance.
- As a research institute that encourages the propagation of peer-reviewed, research-based manuscripts, all authors must understand the gravity and seriousness of the publication process and be fully committed to it.
An author having more than one paper will enjoy 40% discount on the second paper, this applies only on conference fees excluding publications
- You will receive a full refund if you send your request 45 days before the event, in that case, only a 20 percent transaction fee will be deducted.
- If you request a refund after the 45 days period, you will only get approval in the case that your visa has been rejected and you have submitted the rejection letter itself. According to the reason of rejection from the embassy or consulate, the amount of money refunded back to you will be determined based on the following:
- If the rejection reason stated that the rejection was the applicant’s fault for not submitting the required documents to receive a visa, an administrative fee will be deducted from the amount refunded back to the applicant ONLY if he/she sends the request before the event as no refunds are allowed after the given date.
- If the rejection reason was decided for reasons that the applicant cannot be accounted for, a refund will be allowed with the 20 percent transaction fees deducted.
- Please note that IEREK is only responsible for providing applicants with visa invitation letters that will help ease the process of receiving the visa but is not responsible for the approval or rejection of applicants who apply for visas.
To download detailed information & Tickets Prices of The Entertainment Trips
Kindly be informed that the deadline for registration and payment of the Entertainment Trips is on the 1st of May, 2017
For the purpose of presentation, kindly use the template attached below on the link.
In addition, note that the presentation should not exceed 15 – 20 minutes or about 10 – 15 slides, which is the time assigned for each research presentation.
If you cannot attend the conference, for any reason, kindly use the template for the banner/poster attached, also, below, considering that the full fees should be paid.
Professor of Energy Physics at the University of Athens
|Safia El Kabany||
Professor Of Mural Painting & Dean Of Faculty Of Fine Arts, Helwan University.
|Rania El Hossary||
Vice Dean For (Post Graduate Studies And Research), And Professor Of Book Arts, Graphic Department, Faculty Of Fine Arts, Helwan University
Emeritus Professor of Architectural Design, RIBA Visiting Board Panel and Member Scientific Committee, PLEA, Cardiff University.
Professor of Architecture, Reader, and Researcher in the fields of museum and heritage studies, material culture, Lincolin University, UK.
Vallès School of Architecture, Barcelona
|Abeer Hassan Abdo Mostafa||
Professor of advertisement design – Advertising department – Faculty of Applied Arts – Helwan University
Professor of Sculpture, Faculty of Fine Arts, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt.
|Ahmed Abdul Aziz||
Professor and Was considered S. Department of Sculpture Previous Faculty of Fine Arts - Helwan University - Cairo
Professor and specialization in Philosophy of Aesthetics at the School of Architecture of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA).
Professor of Graphic art & animation Faculty of Fine Arts, Helwan University
Emeritus professor at Painting Department, Faculty of Fine Arts, Helwan University
|Ahmed Ragab Sakr||
Dean of Faculty of Fine Arts, El Minia University
Professor Emeritus, Department of Fine Arts, Washington State University
Assistant professor at the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, University "Kore" of Enna
Head of Architecture Department, Faculty of Fine Arts, Helwan University
Dean at Faculty Of Fine Arts , Luxor , South Vally University
|Saleh Mohamed Abdel Moaty||
Professor of Graphic Design & Ex-Dean, Faculty of Fine Arts, Luxor, South Valley University
|Ashraf Zaki Abd el Rahman||
Head of Advertising and Graphic Design at the Faculty of Arts and Pharos University in Alexandria Division
Professor of Animation & Graphic Art & Vice Dean For Education And Students At Helwan University.Ehab
Associate professor of Architecture Regeneration at Oxford Brookes University.
|Badr Eldin Awad Badr Awad||
Professor and Head of Graphic and Animation, faculty of fine arts, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt.
Assistant Professor in Architectural Engineering. College of Engineering. Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman.
|Elsayed Ibrahim Mohamed kandil||
Professor of graphic, former dean faculty of fine arts, helwan university
|Emad Shriek Rizk||
Professor of Painting, Faculty of Fine Arts, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt.
Assistant Professor of Urban Design , Regional Planning, History and Design at the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture of Kore University of Enna.
Professor of Real Estate Appraisal and Economic Assessment of Plans, Mediterranean University of Reggio Calabria
Professor at Painting department, Faculty of Fine Arts, Alexandria University
|Hamdi Sadik abouelmaati||
Professor - Faculty Of Fine Arts - Graphic Department, Helwan University - Ex. Vice Dean At Faculty Of Fine Arts - Head Of Syndicate Of Plastic Arts - Ex. Head Of Fine Arts Sector (Ministry Of Culture In Egypt
Associate Professor of Architecture at the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning at Qatar University.
Professor at Department of Architecture, National Cheng Kung University
|Hisham Galal El-Shemy||
Associate Professor in Architectural Engineering Department Faculty of Engineering, University of Pharos, Alexandria