Every city has its valuable and unique identity that is revealed through its physical and visual form. It is seen through the eyes of its residents and users where the collective memories of their residents and users are being shaped. The robust identity of the city comprises the physical spaces and the images that were shaped through clues of memory, which in turn affect the tourism, education level, cultural level & economic prosperity in addition to other aspects.
Cities' identities are constructed and developed over the time, from physical, cultural and sociological perspective the identities are incessantly evolving. This conference will discuss how Architecture and Arts are the embodiment of the historical, cultural, and economical characteristics of the city. It presents how cities' memories play a vital role in protecting the physical and nonphysical heritage of the city. The research presented in this conference will make sense of the transformation of cities and urban cultures, and investigates different new approaches developed in, both, Contemporary Arts and Architecture.
This conference will present how citizens see their cities and how they physically or mentally compare it with the ideal city in their own perceptions. However, a city's identity presents distinguishing factors that make it unique and unlike any other. It covers a huge variety of topics such as the conservation of the cultures and the identity of the city through the designing and planning processes. It discusses the different ideologies, approaches of a more sustainable city, and investigates the different approaches developed in Architecture and Contemporary art.
In this context, IEREK organizes this conference to discuss several topics regarding different vocabularies. For instance, the sacred architecture, heritage buildings, open spaces, landmarks, the street escapes, etc.; all of them have direct influences at the cities' form. The cities' form also receives the indirect impact from the citizens themselves, such as their culture that accordingly depends on the art, which could be seen and embodied through moral, painting, media, digital art, and sculpture. It then discusses the fundamental elements that have the full resilience and responsibility of the identity of the cities.
This conference also welcomes research papers that includes different case studies that present many solutions of activating the concept of the responsibility of architecture and arts on the development of our cities. It is an important initiative, which presents a new approach that depends on the available features of cities and how planners and decision makers use these resources of the cities' features as the thread tip in solving the urban problems that our cities are facing.
1. Identifying and Shaping Cities and formation
Cities with Religious and Cultural Theme
City Structure, Features, and Elements
The City's Image and Self-Identity
Transition to Smart and Cities: Structure and Transformation
Advances in Technologies of City Planning and Development
Urban Growth, Morphology, and its Impact on Cities Identity
New Development in Urban Design and Shaping the City and its Culture
The Influences of City Elements and Vocabularies in the City Form and Development
2. Heritage Arts: Sustainability, Identities and Public Regulations
Cultural Heritage Protection Conservation and Reuse
Ideologies and Movements: Shaping the City and its History
Visuals Arts Role in Documenting Architectural Heritage
Branding the City Heritage Identities and Sustainable Heritage
Public Regulations and Efforts in Heritage Conservation
Mapping Cities Vocabularies: Ecological Approach of Conservation Projects
The Correlation between Architecture and Arts and Conservation of Cities Vocabularies
The Role of Heritage Sites in Driving the City Fabrics
3. Contemporary Arts: City Visual Arts and Visualization
Visuals in Architectural Heritage in Modern Era
Future of Our Past: Archeology is Yesterday's Visual Arts for today
Visual Arts Role in Documenting Architectural Heritage
Art, Music, Interaction Visualization Media and its Impact on Human
The Dialogue between Ancient and Contemporary Visuals
Cultural Spaces and Landscapes in Contemporary Arts
Artistic Heritages and its Impact on Contemporary Arts
Contemporary Art in Reviving Modern and Historical Cities
4. Development of Cities’ vocabularies
Planning for Sustainable Context of Re-discovering Heritage Vocabularies
The Future of Cities Art, Architecture, and Historical Cities
Architecture and Arts in Cultural Transformation Age
Shaping and Transformation of Successful Case Studies
Policies and Guidelines for Planning and Transformation of Cities
Best Practices for Dealing with Historical Areas and Buildings
Historic Conservation and Economic Plans for Sustainable Tourism
Cultural Spaces Development and Landscapes in Contemporary Arts
Abstract Submissions Deadline
15 Jun 2021
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
15 Jul 2021
Full Paper Submission Deadline
13 Sep 2021
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
13 Oct 2021
Early Payment Deadline
13 Sep 2021
Regular Payment Deadline
13 Oct 2021
Late Payment Deadline
12 Nov 2021
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
13 Oct 2021
Letter of Final Acceptance
13 Oct 2021
12 Nov 2021
12 Dec 2021
Disclaimer: In light of current circumstances and the ongoing pandemic, IEREK is full of hope that the situation shall soon be under control. Thus, the following table regards this as a physical conference (held on-campus) until further notice.
Type of Registration
Deposit (EUR) Online Payment
Total Amount Required (EUR) Online Payment
Remaining Amount (EUR) On Desk Payment
Author fees (ASTI Publishing)
Author Fees (IEREK Press Publishing)
Author Fees (Short Papers – No Publishing)
Short papers (less than 8 pages) will not get published in either IEREK Press Journal or ASTI Book Series by Springer.
Authors could extend their papers after the conference and choose to publish in either option provided. Please see the publishing tab and respective fee.
*Authors may request that their kits be delivered, for an additional fee decided by the courier, and upon request. Alternatively, authors located in Egypt can pick them up from Cairo/ Alexandria office.
Shipping Conference Abstract book and certificate
Depending on Location
Additional Conference Kit (Excluding Delivery)
Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
Each co-author has his/her own separate fees to pay for their contribution and/or attendance.
A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference abstract book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Physical/ On-Campus Conference: (Current Plan)
The ‘Deposit’ column ONLY reserves your physical spot for attending all days of the conference on-campus.
Payment of the ‘Deposit’ allows you to complete the remaining fees from the ‘total amount required’ on-desk during event days.
Online Conference: (Contingency Plan)
The ‘Deposit’ column guarantees your virtual attendance for all days of the conference as a contingency plan and counts as a complete payment in case of an online event.
Loyalty Membership Discounts:
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit, is fraudulent.
The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
Duplicating any content will lead to the paper’s refusal upon the complaint of the plagiarism victim.
Authors are respectfully requested to abide by the following steps/instructions in order to participate in the "Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts (CITAA) – 5th Edition" international conference and get their papers published...
Step 1: Abstract Submission
- Author (researcher) should submit an abstract file (paper summary) through our online system before the abstract submission deadline.
- Submitted abstract should not exceed 300 words.
- The abstract should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- Abstract file should include the author's full name, email address, academic title and affiliation.
- Abstract file should include Co-authors' full name, email address, academic title and affiliation. (if exist)
- The author can use/download abstract writing template to submit the abstract file accordingly (please download from the link provided below).
Step 2: Abstract Review
- Once abstract is submitted abiding the mentioned instructions, it will be sent to undergo revision process by members of our scientific committee, the author will receive abstract feedback and next step action by email within 2 weeks maximum from abstract submission date.
- Once the abstract is accepted, the author will receive abstract acceptance notification by email stating that the abstract is accepted and to proceed with full/short paper submission.
Step 3: Paper Submission
- The author should submit the full/short paper written on the writing template, through our online system before the paper submission deadline (please download the writing template from the link provided below).
- The full/short paper should be written in English as it's the official language of the conference "Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts (CITAA) – 5th Edition".
- The full paper file shouldn't exceed 12 pages while short paper shouldn't exceed 5 pages.
- The full paper should state the major issue(s) addressed, the potential significance of the work, the theoretical and methodological approach(es) pursued, major findings, conclusions, implications, and relevant scholarly references.
- The short paper should clearly mention the major issue(s), methodological approach(es), major findings, conclusions, and relevant scholarly references.
- The full/short paper must be relevant to the conference theme and must be original as we don't accept research papers with similarity rate of more than 20%.
Step 4: Paper Elementary Review
- Once the full/short paper is submitted abiding the mentioned instructions, it is assigned for review by the reviewers of scientific committee in aligning with IEREK revision SOP (double-blind process).
- The author will receive paper feedback and next step action by email within 1-month maximum from paper submission date.
Note: In this phase of revision, the research paper will be evaluated based on its originality, structure, and relativity to the conference theme. If the paper gets an acceptance by one reviewer, a paper preliminary acceptance notification will be sent to the author accordingly.
Step 5: Payment
- Once the paper gets accepted, the author will be informed to pay the conferencefeesso that it could be sent to another 2 members of the scientific committee in order to provide the author with comments/notes that could improve the paper and push it to the limits.
- As soon as payment is confirmed and done successfully, corresponding official documents can be issued from our side such as paper acceptance letter and invitation letter.
Step 6: Paper Final Review
- The paper will be sent for review by another 2 members of the scientific committee in aligning with IEREK revision SOP (double-blind process). Reviewers' comments/notes will be forwarded to the author in order to modify the full paper accordingly. Then, send us the final version of the paper.
Instructions of Short Paper Submissions: Authors whom like to submit short papers should be informed that the structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online. A short paper fee doesn’t have a chance to receive any type of discount whatever the authors was previously published with IEREK or the author is one of IEREK’s scientific committee and or a representative of a co- host university. A short paper is only published in the conference proceedings book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full length paper and pay the requested fee.
After the conference, the submitted manuscripts of authors interested in publishing in the ASTI book series will undergo a rigorous peer review process resulting in a final decision made by the editors. Only accepted research will be published as a chapter in the Book Series entitled “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer. The ASTI Book Series is by managed highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure high-quality material for online publication.
The ASTI Book Series is fully indexed in Scopus. Some titles have been successfully indexed or submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI).
About the ASTI series
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on important emerging research that redefines the current disciplinary boundaries in science, technology and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. It not only discusses the progress made towards securing more resources, allocating smarter solutions, and rebalancing the relationship between nature and people, but also provides in-depth insights from comprehensive research that addresses the 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) as set out by the UN for 2030.
The series draws on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Including interdisciplinary contributions, it presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both economic and sustainable development, through better use of data, more effective institutions, and global, local and individual action, for the welfare of all societies.
The series particularly features conceptual and empirical contributions from various interrelated fields of science, technology and innovation, with an emphasis on digital transformation, that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water and energy security to achieve the SDGs. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues in different regions of the world.
The series is intended for professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with IEREK, the Springer ASTI series will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services. Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals. Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world. As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
Archive By Ierek Press
Publishing in ARChive by IEREK Press
ARChive is an open access journal that publishes conference proceedings in a wide range of topics and across all scientific disciplines, from Sciences, Engineering and Technology to Environment, Energy and Earth Sciences. Consequently, it accepts original research papers in a wide spectrum of subjects. ARChive is a journal published on behalf of researchers that perpetually make an effort to contribute to their fields and provides them with a high visibility of research submitted. The series publishes, both, theoretical and experimental high quality papers of current and perpetual interest. It serves to cultivate, propagate, and essentially archive academic research that has been authored and submitted for academic conferences.
ARChive welcomes diverse approaches to innovative ideas that could potentially be a breakthrough in a particular field of study. To provide permanent archiving, ARChive is archived in the collaborative digital preservation archiving systems in LOCKSS, as they provide access to permanent and authorized digital content for electronic scholarly journals.
In accordance with the definition of open access journal provided by BOAI, ARChive is a model of the fully open journal that allows global open access to its content which is freely available without charge to users and institutions. They are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose for non-commercial use, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author.
University of Pisa
Benefits Of Attending
Since conferences are the places where new science results are typically first presented so, it helps you sharpen the saw, meet experts & influencers face to face, learning in a new space, build your knowledge base, expand your resources and grow your professional network. Yet attending conferences organized by IEREK will not only helps you gain previous benefits but also can be very rewarding on the professional level due to below reasons:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists to exchange and share their experiences and research results on all aspects of smart cities development. Furthermore, you get to converse with other researchers from different universities and countries. You learn from experts in the field. It is a great opportunity to find more about your field and listen to ideas that could help inspire research ideas of your own.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates which will be added to their certificates of experience or could be presented to the official authorities concerned.
3. Publication: The conference proceedings will be published in "ARChive" an international journal of science hosted by IEREKPress. High-quality manuscripts based on scientific committee evaluation will be published either in Environmental Sciences & Sustainable Development (ESSD) by IEREK Press or a book series by "Springer".
4. Research Technologies: Conferences also can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research. Moreover, they let you test them out, share teaching tools and techniques, or even obtain samples of textbooks.
5. Networking: Conferences help in networking which often increases your chances of collaboration in future projects. As you can engage with respectable professors and discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles, not to mention the benefits for your C.V as it will create an impression that you are an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Proceedings Material: Delegates will receive the conference proceedings in both hardcover book and digital format on a CD. The CD will additionally contain proceedings from previous conferences in this series.
8. Venue: Getting an overview of the place or city where the conference is being held and learning about its people and culture.
9. Indexation: Indexing and Archiving Papers presented at IEREK conferences regularly appear in notable reviews, publications, and databases, including referencing and abstract.
- For participants who need Entry Visas to the country where the conference will be held, IEREKwill issue the corresponding invitation letter for accepted applicants to facilitate visa issuance.
- Please notice that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.
Invitation Letter Issuance Process
1- In case the participant is an author who has submitted a research paper to the conference, it must get accepted by the Scientific Committee
2- Required participation fees must be paid
3- The participant should send the following information to the conference's official email [email protected]
* A clear copy of passport
* Passport number
* Full name as written in your passport.
* Date of Issuing and Expiration
* Date of Birth
* Email address of the nearest Italian Embassy/Consulate to you
* Mobile Number including country code
4- Conference coordinator will issue the needful invitation letter and send a copy to the participant's email, in addition to another one to the corresponding embassy/consulate
5- The participant should print out the invitation letter along with all other required documents by the embassy/consulate and apply for VISA
Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances for any reason will receive refunds according to the following plan and according to the number of days from the start of the event:
Up to 60 days before the event
Up to 50 days before the event
Up to 40 days before the event
39 days before the event
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- All matters have been finalized (accommodation/travel expenses paid for)
- A submitted manuscript is rejected by the editorial board after going through peer review.
*A Rejected manuscript can be enhanced and resubmitted for the following edition and processed free of charge (exclusive of attendance).
Visa Rejection Cases
Reason and proof of rejection must be submitted. If the reason of rejection is due to an error on our part, the participant will be refunded their full fee with a deduction of a 20% administration fee.
Documents to be issued by IEREK to acquire a visa are as follows:
* Final Acceptance Letter for Presentation (Authors only)
* Visa Invitation Letter
* Invoice/proof of payment
If the reason of rejection is not related to any of the aforementioned and is an error on the participant’s part, the following will apply:
* Authors: may choose to let their co-author or colleague present his/her research on his/her behalf free of charge. Alternatively, he/she can submit a pre-recorded Video Presentation (Video Presentation guidelines)
* Audience members/Registrants: will only be allowed to attend another similar event of their choosing that is organized by IEREK free of charge.
Please note that we will endeavor to assist you in obtaining a visa if needed, by sending an invitation letter, but the responsibility is yours and the decision rests solely with the appropriate Embassy.