With issues such as climate change, unequal economic development, and exhaustion of non-renewable resources, affecting national economies and lives today, governments and organizations around the world have taken interest in addressing the challenges posing environmental, social, and economic threats.
Aligning with the United Nations’ Sustainability Development Goals, to achieve a better and more sustainable future, is the Circular Economy concept. It represents a significant alternative to the traditional linear economy as means of reducing pressure on the environment, boosting economic growth, using and reusing resources and materials for as long as possible. This concept encompasses and applies to other aspects and sectors such as energy efficiency, land management, tourism, and more. However, the transition is quite challenging. It sheds new light on designing infrastructure using a greener model and other ways through which cleaner renewable energy and production can incorporate the circular economy model.
This conference will also discuss the intersection between Circular Economy and emerging trends such as Artificial Intelligence as means of improving operation, design and infrastructure optimization. Emerging technologies are being used as a way of blurring the boundaries between all sectors for one main goal: reducing our negative impact on the environment by changing production processes.
Understanding the need to inform and prepare individuals and organizations with the need to stay ahead, IEREK has organized the first International Conference on “Circular & Sustainable Economic Development” to be held in collaboration with the University of Salento of Lecce, Italy. The conference will be a platform for all researchers, scientists, designers and planners, stakeholders, governmental officials, to be aware of the circular economy concept and its adaption in production and infrastructure leading to a more sustainable future.
Throughout this 3-day content-filled event, the opportunity of networking with experts in the field and sharing experiences is maximized. IEREK invites you to join the journey towards a more sustainable future from 21 – 23 September 2021.
Including but not limited to
1. Circular Economy: A Sustainable Solution for a Sustainable Future
1-1 Linear and Circular Economy Models. 1-2 Sustainable Industrial and Territorial Ecology Concepts. 1-3 Innovative and New Models for a Sustainable City Design. 1-4 A Sustainable Loop: From Linear to Circular. 1-5 Principles as basis for action
2. Circular Tourism As A Key Factor
2-1 Marine Litter and Tourism Waste 2-2 Tourism and Hospitality Sectors In The Circular Economy 2-3 Opportunities And Challenges Facing Circular Tourism 2-4 Examples of Circular Business Models 2-5 Tourism Development Strategies and Plans
3. Green Infrastructure and Renewable Energy
3-1 Circular Concepts for a Greener Infrastructure 3-2 Production and Transportation with Renewable Energy 3-3 Repair, Maintenance and Upgrade 3-4 Reuse, Remanufacture and Recycle 3-5 Sustainable Designs for Greener Infrastructure
4. Manufacturing and the Role of Digitalization
4-1 Product Design for Reusability 4-2 Circular Flow of Materials to Maximize the No Waste Concept 4-3 Rethinking Design and Manufacturing 4-4 The Rule of the 3Rs: Reduce, Repair, and Recycle 4-5 The Use of Digital Technologies in Improving Design & Operations
5. International Trade and the Transition to a Circular Economy
5-1 Channeling Waste, Sorting and Processing Materials 5-2 Challenges of Eco-Design and Recyclability Standards 5-3 International Cooperation on Circular Economy Value Chains 5-4 Potential Impacts on Trade Flows 5-5 An Intersection of Trade and Circular Economy Policies
Abstract Submissions Deadline
15 Jun 2021
Last Notification for Abstract Acceptance
15 Jun 2021
Full Paper Submission Deadline
31 Aug 2021
Last Notification for Full-Paper Acceptance
05 Sep 2021
Early Payment Deadline
05 Sep 2021
Regular Payment Deadline
05 Sep 2021
Late Payment Deadline
05 Sep 2021
Letter of Visa (for delegates who need visa entry)
01 Jan 1970
Letter of Final Acceptance
23 Jul 2021
05 Sep 2021
21 Sep 2021
- Each research paper should have one main author who should pay the full fee (Author fees) regardless of attendance.
- Each co-author (1-5 max) has his/her own separate fees to pay as shown in the table below.
- A research paper fee allows only one author, whether main or co-author, to attend the conference and receive only one copy of the conference Abstract book in both hard and soft copies. Extras can be requested for a fee shown below.
Loyalty Membership Discounts
The more you attend, the more you're rewarded! IEREK offers its loyal participants the following discounts depending on his/her attendance:
Covid-19 Conference attendance Fees: Held online from the comfort of your own home, the fees below guarantee your virtual attendance for all days of the conference date above.
Non-Unisalento Participant Fees
*Applicable to non-Unisalento participants. *Covers paper submission processing fees, consideration for publication, virtual attendance, and virtual social program.
Attendance Fees (Co-authors & Audience Members)
*Covers virtual attendance, virtual social program, and contribution certificate.
Unisalento Participant Fees ID/ proof must be shown.
*20% Discount ONLY applicable to Unisalentofaculty members and staff.
*Attending and non-attending. Covers inclusion in abstracts book, publication upon approval, and contribution certificate.
Authors may request that their kits be delivered, for an additional fee decided by the courier, and upon request. Alternatively, authors located in Egypt can pick them up from Cairo/ Alexandria office.
Shipping Fees for Conference Abstract book and certificate (Depends on Location)
IEREK has an unyielding policy regarding plagiarism. We believe that copying/taking the ideas and work of other Authors without permission and credit is fraudulent.The Reviewing committee and IEREK employees have the authority to reject a paper during its reviewing process, on the basis of the paper being subjected to either minor or major plagiarism.
Authors must refer to, and abide by, the following instructions in submitting their abstracts/ papers:
Step 1: Abstract Submission Process
- The author should prepare and submit an Abstract (250 300 words) through the website and before the abstract submission deadline.
- The abstract should clearly state the purpose, results, and conclusions of the work to be described in the final paper.
- The author should select the most relevant topic for the paper from the corresponding conference topics.
- The author can use/download an abstract writing template to submit the abstract file accordingly.
To downloadthe Abstract Writing Template, Click Here
Step 2: Abstract Review
- Upon submission, an abstract will undergo a preliminary evaluation process by members of our scientific committee.
-A relevant topic of the conference should be proposed with clear writing, aims, and objectives of the study clearly presented and sound literature and methodology of the work.
- The author will receive a notification by email, within 2 weeks, of:
Approval, after which they will be requested to prepare and submit their full/short paper submissions.
Rejection, if the topic proposed does not fit the theme of the conference.
Step 3: Paper Submission & Preliminary Review
There are 2 types of paper submission at this conference:
- A short paper submission consists of 4–5 pages and suits researches that make significant contributions, but still in progress or can be reported briefly.
- The structure of a short paper should contain its abstract, keywords, introduction, problem statements, and the hypothetical solution along with further studies that they will go through when they want to extend their paper to be published online.
- A short paper is only included in the conference Abstracts book and will not have a chance to be published online by Springer or by IEREK’s Journals unless the author extends their work to a full-length paper and pay the corresponding fee.
- The Full/ Long paper submission is 8 – 12+ pages in length.
- The full paper should state the major issue(s) addressed, the potential significance of the work, the theoretical and methodological approach(es) pursued, major findings, conclusions, implications, and relevant scholarly references.
- A full/long paper will be included in the conference abstracts book as well as get published online by Springer or by IEREK PRESS Journals.
- The author should submit the full/short paper written on the writing template, through our online system before the paper submission deadline.
- The full/short paper should be written in English as it's the official language of the conference.
Step 4: Similarity Check/ Plagiarism Detection
All Chapters will be screened for similarity using iThenticate; a Turnitin Plagiarism detection software, used for academic publishers. Springer Similarity guidelines are as follows:
Max. % from all sources: 10-15%
Max. % from one source: 3-5%
Higher than 30% (all sources): Reject completely
Lower than 30% (all sources): Ask for revision to decrease the similarities
Once Preliminary approval for presentation at the conference and/or consideration for publication is granted, authors will be expected to complete payment in reference to the Conference Fees.
Note: In this phase of revision, the research paper will be evaluated based on its originality, structure, and relativity to the conference theme. If the paper gets acceptance by one reviewer, a paper preliminary acceptance notification will be sent to the author accordingly.
- As soon as payment is confirmed and done successfully, corresponding official documents can be issued from our end such as:
A signed/stamped preliminary acceptance letter
Receipt of Payment
Visa Invitation Letter
Step 6: Rigorous Peer Review Process (Full-length papers only)
Only after payment is confirmed,
- and the full paper submission deadline is reached, a submitted full-length paper is assigned to an Editor from the Editorial Board, in alignment with IEREK’s revision SOP (double-blind process).
- Each paper/ chapter is evaluated by a minimum of two reviewers, after which a final decision by the responsible Editor is made. There is no maximum to the number of times a paper can be reviewed, depending on the quality of the submission.
- Once a decision is made by the Editors, IEREK Editors will communicate one of the following three final decisions:
Accepted without comments
Revise and Resubmit – Minor or Major revision
- If modifications are in order, authors will be sent the relevant instructions and a deadline will be set. Missed deadlines may result in complete exclusion from the final publication/ final rejection.
- A back and forth process, modifications will be sent back to the responsible Editor/ Series Editor and another round of evaluation conducted.
Asti By Springer
Publishing in ASTI by Springer (Scopus indexed)
After the conference, the submitted manuscripts of authors interested in publishing in the ASTI book series will undergo a rigorous peer review process resulting in a final decision made by the editors. Only accepted research will be published as a chapter in the Book Series entitled “Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation” (ASTI) by Springer. The ASTI Book Series is by managed highly professional members of an International Editorial Board to ensure high-quality material for online publication.
The ASTI Book Series is fully indexed in Scopus. Some titles have been successfully indexed or submitted for indexation in Web of Science (ISI).
About the ASTI series
Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) is a series of peer-reviewed books based on important emerging research that redefines the current disciplinary boundaries in science, technology and innovation (STI) in order to develop integrated concepts for sustainable development. It not only discusses the progress made towards securing more resources, allocating smarter solutions, and rebalancing the relationship between nature and people, but also provides in-depth insights from comprehensive research that addresses the 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) as set out by the UN for 2030.
The series draws on the best research papers from various IEREK and other international conferences to promote the creation and development of viable solutions for a sustainable future and a positive societal transformation with the help of integrated and innovative science-based approaches. Including interdisciplinary contributions, it presents innovative approaches and highlights how they can best support both economic and sustainable development, through better use of data, more effective institutions, and global, local and individual action, for the welfare of all societies.
The series particularly features conceptual and empirical contributions from various interrelated fields of science, technology and innovation, with an emphasis on digital transformation, that focus on providing practical solutions to ensure food, water and energy security to achieve the SDGs. It also presents new case studies offering concrete examples of how to resolve sustainable urbanization and environmental issues in different regions of the world.
The series is intended for professionals in research and teaching, consultancies and industry, and government and international organizations. Published in collaboration with IEREK, the Springer ASTI series will acquaint readers with essential new studies in STI for sustainable development.
Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services. Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals. Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world. As part of Springer Nature, Springer sits alongside other trusted brands like Nature Research, BioMed Central, and Palgrave Macmillan.
Click on the below image to learn more about the editors
Archive By Ierek Press
Publishing in ARChive by IEREK Press
ARChive is an open access journal that publishes conference proceedings in a wide range of topics and across all scientific disciplines, from Sciences, Engineering and Technology to Environment, Energy and Earth Sciences. Consequently, it accepts original research papers in a wide spectrum of subjects. ARChive is a journal published on behalf of researchers that perpetually make an effort to contribute to their fields and provides them with a high visibility of research submitted. The series publishes, both, theoretical and experimental high quality papers of current and perpetual interest. It serves to cultivate, propagate, and essentially archive academic research that has been authored and submitted for academic conferences.
ARChive welcomes diverse approaches to innovative ideas that could potentially be a breakthrough in a particular field of study. To provide permanent archiving, ARChive is archived in the collaborative digital preservation archiving systems in LOCKSS, as they provide access to permanent and authorized digital content for electronic scholarly journals.
In accordance with the definition of open access journal provided by BOAI, ARChive is a model of the fully open journal that allows global open access to its content which is freely available without charge to users and institutions. They are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose for non-commercial use, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author.
Benefits Of Attending
Attending a conference dramatically enhances both your professional and personal development. They help you sharpen the saw, meet and converse with industry experts, expand your resources and grow your professional network. IEREK Conference will help you:
1. Open Discussions: We bring together leading academic scientists, from different universities and countries, to exchange and share their experiences and research results.
2. Internationally Accredited Certificate: The participants are granted internationally recognized certificates acknowledged by IEREK, the University, and Partnering Organizations.
3. Publication: Selected high-quality manuscripts will be published, after peer review, in the Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation (ASTI) book series by Springer or by IEREK Press Journals, both of which are indexed in world-renowned databases.
4. Research Technologies: Conferences can expand your resources by providing a great opportunity to promote gathered information on new technologies related to your research.
5. Networking: You can engage with industry experts to discuss with them the very latest research projects they could be working on and increase your chances of collaboration in future projects.
6. Academic Reputation: Attending many conferences will make you a known figure in academic circles and an active member of the academic community.
7. Conference Abstracts Material: Delegates will receive the conference Abstracts book in both hardcover and digital format on a CD.Shipping fees may apply.
Delegates in any event who cancel their registration due to special circumstances will receive refunds according to the following:
Up to 60 days before the event
59 days before the event
A refund is not possible if
- An acceptance letter has been issued (Authors only)
- The proceedings of the event have been published (Authors only)
- A submitted manuscript is rejected by the editorial board after going through peer review.
*Please note that the following conference program is not final; minor changes could take place within the coming few days and it'll be updated accordingly.