In a daily growing world, the need for sustainability study is increasing every day. It is a very broad discipline that connects civil engineering and environmental science with the newest technology. It becomes a necessity to save our world.
What is sustainability?
Sustainable development is always defined as” Development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”
Why we need sustainability?
Urban centers now consume more power than rural areas. Case studies say that we consume 40% more resources every year than we restore. Then sustainability is needed to balance between our need for technology and economic development and the need to save our environment. It is not only about the environment but also about improving health, society and humanity.
The pillars of sustainability
There are three pillars of sustainability:
Economic sustainability is the use of current resources in a way that both efficient and responsible. It is the development of economic wealth of countries, regions and communities for the well-being of their inhabitants.
“Social sustainability encompasses human rights, labor rights, and corporate governance. In common with environmental sustainability, social sustainability is the idea that future generations should have the same or greater access to social resources as the current generation (“inter-generational equity”), while there should also be equal access to social resources within the current generation (“intra-generational equity”). Social resources include ideas as broad as other cultures and basic human rights.” From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Source
All people are working on this pillar from individual to big companies. As it depends on protecting environment wither it by recycling, or reducing power consumption. Also, companies are supposed to prevent pollution and keep their own carbon emission low. This will drive us to a greener future.
The main goals of sustainability:
- Using integrated systems: As challenges in cities are correlated so they integrated systems to be dealt with. Like the integration between urban planning and transportation planning to make the best use of land. Also, the integration between remote sensing and urban planning field to gather more precise data.
- To make all people participate in making world better place for current and coming generation.
How to start a career in sustainability field:
Sustainability is a growing field with many job opportunities. Although there are many fields included in sustainability, many professionals focus on environmental protection and social responsibility. People with a degree in engineering, business and public administration, social sciences, natural resource and conservation can start easily with government research institutions and non-profits as they highly are hiring sustainability researchers.
The 4th international conference on “Green Urbanism (GU)” is taking place in Rome, Italy, from 24 to 26 November 2020.
GU-2020 aims to bring together, scientists, urban planners, architects and other stakeholders from across the globe to discuss the latest research findings in all aspects of sustainability.
Moreover, GU international conference avails the opportunity for interested researchers, scholars, scientists, architects, and engineers from around the globe to submit their research papers and get them published in highly-ranked international journals by the esteemed publishers Springer and IEREK Press. Noting that submitted researches must be in the scope of at least one of the official conference topics and abiding the submission instructions.
Many critical topics will be discussed during the GU conference, such as:
- The Evolution of Green Urbanism
- Formulating the Principles of Green Urbanism
- Urban Design for Nature, Conservation of Natural Resources
- Passive Designs: Green Buildings for Sustainable Use
- Green Districts: Bike, Cycles, and Pedestrians’ Corridors
- Urban Growth of Developing Cities
- City Urban Form and Natural Resources
- Landscape, Gardens, Streetscapes, and Urban Biodiversity
- Urbanization of Rural Area: Energy, Water, and Food Security
- Urban Governance, Leadership, Best Practices, Research, and Awareness
- Green Infrastructure and Sustainable Environment
- Regeneration of the City Center and Urban Transit Hubs
- Waste Management, Pollution, and Health Risks
- Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment
- Effects of Sustainable Environments on Human Health
- Advancing Solutions towards Zero Waste Cities
- Transformation to Green Environment
For more information & registration, visit the conference’s official page: https://www.ierek.com/events/GU4th