Urban design is an approach that provides a city with a shape, form, and character. It is a study of parts of the city that constitute a group of buildings or an integrated urban fabric and focuses on physical material elements such as blocks and the spaces around them and their relationships with each of the second and third dimensions.
Urban design maneuvers around major details that define horizontal and vertical relationships of sectors to identify themes of motion, entrances to buildings and assembly points, and deviation and intersections and overlaps between axes of movement and Visual axes. It deals with city or sector zoning as an abstract and urban designer takes the design rights of ownership or employer and acting within a certain area.
One role of crucial importance in urban design is the infrastructure as it is still exclusively the result of policymaker’s decisions and engineers’ designs. Thus, the complexity of infrastructural systems is only conceived in terms of pure functionality, and so the developments are managed merely in technocratic terms.
IEREK in collaboration with Ain Shams university – Cairo will host a two-week summer school in advanced urban design. The course will deal with advanced techniques and technologies used in urban design. It is important to be mentioned that the course will go through a real case study on:
“Designing infrastructure: a key turn in urban landscape, case study the valle Aurelia- Vigna Clara train line- Rome”.
Undergraduates, post graduates students and interested participants are all invited to attend this course from 10- 23 of July 2017 at Rome.
- Urban design theories with emphasis on critical, conceptual, and design thinking in the process of designing and shaping cities.
- Urban design is an inter-disciplinary subject that utilizes elements of many built environment professions/, including landscape architecture.
- Squares: the open spaces and public spaces and squares of Assembly.
- Borders and boundaries: the linear elements not using population as courses but everyone and be in physical borders like walls and green areas and bridges.
- Strategic design in urban areas.
- Urban design is about making connections between people and places
- City infrastructure and Renewable Energy distribution.
|Date From||Date To||Notes|
|Registration Deadline||March 25, 2017|
|Payment Deadline||March 25, 2017|
|letter of visa ( for those who need a visa entry)||March 30, 2017|
|summer school Launch||July 10, 2017||July 23, 2017|
– Hocine Bougdah (instructor)
Reader in Architectural Technology; the Canterbury School of Architecture, University for the Creative Arts, Canterbury, UK.
– Chaham Alalouch (instructor)
Assistant Professor in Architectural Engineering since 2013. College of Engineering. Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman.
– Ahmed Sami Abdelrahman (Instructor/Supervisor)
Associate Professor – Urban Design & Planning Department – Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University.
– Mohamed El Fayoumy (supervisor)
Assistant Professor of Architecture and Planning, Ain Shams University, Egypt.
– Anna Laura Pisello (lecturer)
Assistant professor in Applied Physics at University of Perugia, Italy PhD in Energy Engineering, Italy.
– Murizio Petrangeli (lecturer)
University Researcher, Department of Architecture, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
– Luciano DE BONIS (Data supplier)
Associate professor of Architecture and Urban Planning, University of Molise, Italy.
€ 780 as attendance fees including course material, and accommodation for 11 nights on double or triple rooms basis.
City tax are not included (it maybe € 3 – € 4 per person per a day)
Coffee break and light lunch:
Coffee break and light lunch are optional, for €12 / day.